Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I'm trying to figure out how to control two Macs with only one keyboard. I've just downloaded a lovely application called Teleport, but it doesn't do quite all of what I'd like it to do. I usually do most of my work from my MacBook while my Mac mini is playing music, so I'd like to be able to use the F7/F6/F9 media control keys to control the mini when my activate my mouse on that machine. However, even when I move the cursor over to the mini, these buttons are still active on the MacBook. Also, the volume control and eject keys don't seem to be working on the controlled mini when my MacBook keyboard is in control. Oddly, the Dashboard and Expose keys do work. Does anybody know how I could get my media playback keys to play nicely with Teleport?

The thing is, I never use my MacBook to listen to music, as my entire library is on the mini. It would be soo nice to be able to control the mini's music playback with the MacBook's media keys, either with Teleport or with any other application...is this even possible?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008

I actually came across this app when I was doing my research and its disclaimer scared me away. It read,

The Mac OS X port is incomplete. It does not synchronize the screen saver, only text clipboard data works (i.e. HTML and bitmap data do not work), the cursor won't hide when not on the screen, and there may be problems with mouse wheel acceleration. Other problems should be filed as bugs.

I even downloaded it and couldn't figure out how to get my two Macs to connect...any help would be appreciated :)

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
The thing is, I never use my MacBook to listen to music, as my entire library is on the mini. It would be soo nice to be able to control the mini's music playback with the MacBook's media keys, either with Teleport or with any other application...is this even possible?

I'm have pretty much the same set up, but keep a copy of music on my laptop so have it with me too. I use teleport to switch between them, and because i don't do much work on the mini (it's a server) itunes is usually the active window, so i can use the cmd+rightarrow to skip forward and space to pause, or just use mouse controls. Otherwise i use the IR remote or remote app on iphone.

You can set up global keyboard shortcuts for itunes that will work if it's not the active app. I used to use sizzlingkeys. Maybe you can set the controls to your function keys

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I'm have pretty much the same set up, but keep a copy of music on my laptop so have it with me too. I use teleport to switch between them, and because i don't do much work on the mini (it's a server) itunes is usually the active window, so i can use the cmd+rightarrow to skip forward and space to pause, or just use mouse controls. Otherwise i use the IR remote or remote app on iphone.

You can set up global keyboard shortcuts for itunes that will work if it's not the active app. I used to use sizzlingkeys. Maybe you can set the controls to your function keys

Yeah, sizzling keys won't let me assign my media keys. Thanks anyways though! I guess I could use other keys for playback controls, but after years of using F7-F12 for these things, it'd be so annoying to break the habit now. It's so annoying that I can move my mouse cursor between the two computers, use the keyboard for most things..but that the only keys I really care about can't be shared from my MacBook's keyboard...arghhhhh :mad:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I once purchased a data signal sharing/transfer device (a switch) for the same purpose, but never used it. It probably has outdated connectors. There was a short acronym for it, kvm or something like that, can't remember. But I think that you'll need something similar.

brendon2020

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
have a $40 usb kvm to control up to 2 computers. My monitor has 2 inputs so this allows me to easily switch between them. The other thing thats great is the remote app for the iphone, can control itunes for any mac.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
have a $40 usb kvm to control up to 2 computers. My monitor has 2 inputs so this allows me to easily switch between them. The other thing thats great is the remote app for the iphone, can control itunes for any mac.

Yeah, I've been using the Remote app lately and just bypassing the MacBook altogether for music controls, but it's kind of goofy (I think) that I need two devices, and wish my MacBook could just take care of it. I guess an equivalent of the iPhone's Remote app for the desktop would be ideal for me - a way to control another Mac's iTunes. Oh well. Someday my laptop replacement will be an iPad so I guess then I'll be all set!

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
I guess an equivalent of the iPhone's Remote app for the desktop would be ideal for me - a way to control another Mac's iTunes.

They do exist. Google itunes remote or similar search terms. I found one a while ago but it was old and didn't like it much. maybe there is something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.