Two Macs or One?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, May 13, 2010.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I'm sure that this has been asked numerous times but I kind seem to find a definitive answer.

In a business environment, if you had a choice would you have two Macs (i.e. a Desktop AND a Laptop) or just one (i.e. MBP with a 24" ACD for example).

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I usually don't recommending buying more than one machine at a time. Then you'll have to replace them at more or less the same time.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Doesn't that depend on the kind of business and what kind of uses you're up to at work and at home?

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Depends.

The laptop + screen is the best all-round solution, but the laptops only have a certain amount of horsepower. If you need more, you're forced into having a desktop and laptop.

I've gone the desktop + laptop route, simply because the desktop provides the grunt I need on a day-to-day basis, which a laptop would not.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I have always been in the "two Macs are better than one" camp...

However, that may have changed. :) I have always had two - usually a nicer desktop and an older laptop. In my most recent upgrade (April) I sold all my other machines and bought my 13" MBP. It is VERY NICE having everything with me - and for my uses, the 13" has more than enough horsepower. So I think my answer would be that if a laptop can suit your needs, a laptop and large monitor may be your best solution. I think that its mine...

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I've always preferred desktop machines, especially to work from, however, I'm concerned that the 27 inch iMac may be too big, the 21.5 inch iMac will be too small. It's also come to realise that in 'spec' terms, there's not much difference between the current iMacs and the MBP's (MBP having an i5 CPU and iMac still on Core 2 Duo) and the Mac Mini is even further behind.

So, I could save some money and go for a Macbook Pro or I could wait and go for an iMac when they get updated and then maybe get a smaller Macbook Pro as well.

I definately think that as the Mac Mini stands, that's out of the question.

Really unsure about which route to go down.

7. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

So you can hook a MacBook Pro up to a monitor? How would one go about doing that?

Just any monitor or only special ones?

8. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

You just need a mini-display port to VGA/DVI connector

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Easily. The current models have a MiniDisplayPort, which using an adapter can be connected to any monitor using VGA, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort.

10. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

My 2 pence worth

I was looking to replace my ageing iMac last year with the latest iMac.
    Call me paranoid, but I was put off a bit with some of the negative posts about the new 27" version.

As I travel back and forth to Holland for work, I decided to go for the 13" MBP + 24" LED cinema display option, and wait for a future generation of the iMac.

The MBP is the 2.53GHz, 4GB version, mid 2009. I do a lot of Photoshopping, a fair bit of web design, regular video editing, and use both the Microsoft and Apple Office suites. I don't feel my setup to be lacking in grunt unless I'm working on some huge multi-layered image files in Photoshop. If your work doesn't exceed those demands, the latest MBP should be fine. I find 13"to be a perfect size for portability, and the 24" monitor is a joy. I also added a full size keyboard for home use and Magic Mouse for travelling (I use a graphics tablet at home).

The only other advice I could give is to go to an Apple store if you have one nearby, and compare the iMac against the MBP + display.

11. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

I got my MBP back in 2007. I do have a hookup for plugging it into a projector (and have done so). Is that the mini-display port?

12. brucem91 macrumors 6502

No, you have a dvi-port on the side of your laptop. I beleive that if you can find a monitor with dvi in, all you will need is a dvi cable. If not, you will need a dvi-vga adapter, which it sounds like you may have one since you plug it into a projector.

13. 00Penguin macrumors member

14. afd macrumors 6502a

I am still making do with a G5 iMac and 12 inch PB. I wouldn't like to be without the iMac as it runs my apple tv and has an eyeTV plugged in. Also although I love the small size of the PB it's good to have a bigger screen that's ready to use without plugging things in. If you have a big monitor to use with a laptop, it does nothing when the laptop's away.
    I'm getting an iPad when it is released in a couple of weeks and am interested to see how much I can do on it rather than the PB. It wood be better for my wallet if I could get by without upgrading the iMac and PB. I should have staggered the upgrades like miles01110 suggested.

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

iMac i5/i7 is way faster than the MBP i5/i7.

http://www.barefeats.com/

What kind of business? word, email, surfing doesnt really need anything all that powerful...

16. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

It'll be Website Design and Development

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I have an i5 iMac and a 13" MBP (one rev. old) and find it to be the perfect setup for my situation (freelance graphic/web design).

18. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

Yeah I guess what I meant was, is the port on the side of my MBP the one you are talking about. Oops. I blame being tired. lol

The dvi-vga adapter, if that's what I have, is very, very short, though. :/ Do they make longer ones?

19. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Apple don't make long adapters but when you get a monitor it comes with either a VGA or DVI cable. You plug the adapter into the VGA cable and hey presto, it fits in your laptop :)

20. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Your MBP has a full-size DVI port, so can be connected directly to any DVI monitor. If you want to use VGA, you get the DVI to VGA adapter, plug that it to your MBP and then the VGA cable to the monitor into the adapter.

So essentially, you have MBP >> Adapter >> Cable >> Monitor