Two MBA Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wolfpackfan, Feb 5, 2015.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I am planning on getting a 12" MBA when it comes out (hopefully soon). Right now I have a Mac mini, iPad 2 and iPhone 6.

Question 1 - I love how I have my Mac mini setup (wallpapers, settings, etc.), I know it is no big deal to redo everything on the new MBA but is there anyway just to copy the settings over. I'd love for my MBA just to be a mirror image of my mini.

Question 2 - I may get rid of my iPad 2 when I get the MBA. I just don't think I will need it that much. The only apps I have that don't have a corresponding website that I could use on the MBA is I do have a couple of magazine subscriptions in Newsstand. I don't suppose there is anyway to access these on the MBA is there? Does Mac iBooks do anything for you to do this?

Thanks.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

1. Yes, upon first start the Mac asks if you want to transfer settings and files from an older machine. But after the initial transfer, you have to do every synchronization manually, apart from Dropbox or iCloud, or similar, of course.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Whether you save to the iCloud or utilize an external hard drive; you would need to transfer everything. I've always transferred from another Mac to a new MacBook Air or a new MacBook Pro...it's easy and fast to transfer data! :cool:

4. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies. I have all my actual data type files backed up on iCloud and DropBox. I was just concerned about my "settings". Not sure what to do about my magazine subscriptions. This may be the one thing that would keep me from getting rid of my iPad mini. I am surprised Apple hasn't come out with a Newsstand app for the Mac. They have duplicated all the other IOS apps in one form or another. Really excited about the new 12" MBA. It's been a long time since I've had a laptop. I went the iPad route with the original iPad and have been with them ever since. But I miss having a full featured OS X laptop. Now if they were to ever come out with a real OS X iPad Pro (ala Surface Pro), that would be a whole different ballgame. I would be first in line at the Apple Store.

5. Stocks macrumors member

Just do a Time Machine backup of the Mac Mini on an external drive. Then restore from that on the new MBA.