Two MBP Questions / Firewire and Bootcamp reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keerf, Jun 20, 2009.

1. keerf macrumors member

Hey All,

I setup a bootcamp partition on my macbook pro, and tonight I had a weird issue happen. Now first off let me say that I am running custom video drivers instead of the supplied bootcamp ones (figured I would say that now, just in case).

I was in vista for a while playing kotor, and I finished up and right clicked on the bootcamp icon and rebooted into Mac OS. The screen went blank, but the laptop stayed on. I didn't hear the system bong either, just stayed blank screen, keyboard lit up. I finally had to press and hold the power button, and start it back up. Then it started up fine.

When I went back into Mac OS, I noticed the clock was messed up and had the wrong time. When I unchecked maintain the time it setup perfectly.

I don't know if something may be wrong, or if this kind of thing is normal. Should I perhaps take it back to apple? Or am I just being overly paranoid.

Also, on friday I had plugged in my external HD to do a backup, and when I did, the drive didn't come up on my desktop at all, and in the log files, I was flooded with a combo of these two:

AppleFWOHCI_AsyncTransmit::waitForDMA - context not going inactive.
    AppleFWOHCI_AsyncReceive::waitForDMA - context not going inactive.

I rebooted real quick, and everything worked fine after that.

I guess I'm curious if both these problems are normal? Or should I think about taking the laptop in?

Thanks all for any help!

2. keerf thread starter macrumors member

I did some digging, and I'm guessing the firewire thing seems to be somewhat common? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but I guess I'd still like to hear opinions on that.

Still not sure about the reboot thing though.

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Not sure about the log file thing...

The clock issue is caused by OS X and Windows handling system time differently. One of them stores GMT time on the hardware and the other one stores the time local to the system. I can't think of which one is which. I believe OS X is the former and Windows is the latter.

4. keerf thread starter macrumors member

Ahh excellent, thank you for that info.

Any thoughts on the reboot thing?