Two MBPs and Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e-friend, Nov 9, 2009.

1. e-friend macrumors newbie

I've been running Windows 7 32-bit on my original unibody MBP since launch day without issue. The official bootcamp drivers work fine.

My roommate on the other hand has not had such good luck. Windows 7 (32 and 64) refuses to see the graphics card, and reverts to software rendering. As you might imagine this makes the computer unable to play games (He bought Win7 for Dragon Age), and also makes the OS very slow in general. We've tried installing the drivers manually from Nvidia's site, which didn't work.

My model number is MB470LL/A (2.4Ghz model) while his is the slightly newer MB986LL/A (2.8, SD card slot). We've spent about an hour playing around with it without much luck. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S.: Nice to be back on the forums, I think my original "mistakev2" account was deleted for inactivity.

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Is he using the vanilla version of Windows 7?
    Also, you can get graphics drivers from Windows Update. Just click update, and it'll download the drivers for the 9400M and the 9600M.

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Dragon Age is very very addictive - good luck with getting it going, I haven't tried Win7 on my MBP.

4. e-friend thread starter macrumors newbie

We have tried both bootcamp install disks, which are slightly different, with no luck. It's less of a driver issue and more of a windows-says-he-has-no-graphics-card issue.

Unsuprisingly Apple wasn't very helpful, they can barely support their own software, much less their software mixed with a Microsoft OS.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

5. e-friend thread starter macrumors newbie

We got it rolling by manually installing the Nvidia drivers from the OSX install disk. Hopefully this will help someone else eventually.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They actually are very good as supporting their own software. They've long mentioned that they'll not be supporting windows, so you're on your own to getting help with them. Also AFAIK, apple has yet to release an set of updated drivers for win7

7. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Just download the drivers from Nvidia/Intel whoever the GPU manufacturer is....

Edit: Just saw that you already did that...