Two Metro trains crash

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by fireshot91, Jun 22, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I know y'all are either not in DC area, or in different countries, but this just happened (It happened at about 5:05 PM, EST).

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/062209_metro_train_collision

So far, two people are dead.

They (Police) don't know if it was a terrorist (I guess, I don't know what else to call it), or an accident.
    Note: I use the term terrorist as anybody that tries to harm anything else, not signifying an Islamic background or anything.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Four dead now. Shame.

Attached Files:

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My sister and her fiance both live right by the Fort Totten station and ride the Metro. Fortunately they're both OK but I was worried at first when I saw that. Too close for comfort.

Condolences to the families of the victims.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I read there are now at least six killed, including the operator of the second train. That train hit the stopped train in front of it, so it would seem (with not enough information yet) that either the computer-control system failed or somebody overrode the controls.

It's especially unfortunate that it was at rush hour, so many people were involved, and that the second train landed on the first, leaving people trapped. There are lots of injuries and people who could use our sympathy right now.

I have a friend who takes the red line out of DC. I checked and she's fine.

5. nizz macrumors regular

i used to ride the orange line from vienna to DC.
    a couple weeks ago, i saw the train driver hit auto drive and look down to read the express(metro's free newspaper)

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Such tragic news... I guess this is the worst accident, ever, in the 33-year history of the line in terms of lives lost.

The National Transportation Safety Board will be investigating, so we'll likely be hearing more details over the next few days. Wikipedia has a pretty good article on the DC Metro's Automatic Train Control (ATC) and signaling systems. Normally, all the train movements are under the complete control of the ATV -- the train's "driver" only shuts and opens doors...

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Im surprised that this can even happen, i would hope they put a system in place that prevents this in the future, or at least one that cant fail/be compromised this easily.