Two minis or one 4th gen? decisions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Welshman2oo5, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Welshman2oo5 macrumors member

Hey guys and gals,

Just returned my iPad 3 LTE 32gb (was granted a 30-day return in Pentagon City Apple Store in Arlington, Virginia for those who are interested in returning theirs).

I got $780 back for it and am trying to decide between two scenarios:

1. Get the iPad (4th gen) LTE 32gb model and be done with it.
    2. Get two iPad mini’s, one 16gb for my wife and one 32gb for me for slightly more money than the cost of option one.

I’m interested in doubling up on the mini’s as it would be nice to not have to share the iPad.. I feel like it’s a pretty personal device, especially with the introduction of iCloud and synced iMessages. My concern is the dated iPad 2 hardware in the mini is going to become an issue. Obviously the things I’d miss most are Retina and the A6X processor in the 4th gen.

What are your thoughts? I know it’s a personal choice… blah blah blah... but for the sake of discussion, I’m curious what you all would do and what your thoughts are on the benefits of having two iPads in the household and the iPad 2 hardware in the mini possibly becoming obsolete in no time.

Oh and if its helps any, we are already pretty invested in the apple eco system with two iphones, an apple tv, and a hackintosh. Does the ipad 2 hardware struggle with airplay?

Thanks.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

A his and a hers leads to marital bliss. Definitely worth it. :D

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Depends. My wife never uses the iPad. So in my family i only need one iPad.

Than again we have a 2 year old and he loves the iPad. I let him use whatever iPad is around. So he just chooses between the iPad 2 64gb wifi or iPad 3 64gb LTE

If ur wife uses iPad. Than get 2 iPad minis.

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Easy. I want my own iPad, and my wife wants her own. I would get the 2 ipad minis and call it a day.

5. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

this!!!

6. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I'd go for the two mini's and I'm single. I'm willing to bet both you and your wife will be happier with personal mini's than you would be with a shared 4G

7. Welshman2oo5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice -- I see what everyone is saying and am inclined to agree, but damn is hard to say goodbye to that beautiful retina screen and "future proofed" (quotations because this is apple we are talking about) processor.

We received the iPad as a wedding gift this month.. I suppose I really should start this marriage off on the right foot.. haha.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

One for each hand? :confused:

9. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

A happy wife is a happy life they claim. I'd go for 2 mini's.

10. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

learn to share the love and you will be rewarded

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Get the two minis and save up for the NEXT new large iPad. We always wonder how can Apple top this or that next time out, but they always do. The minis are mostly from known components even if they're a new line, so they should be pretty issue-free (assuming they can produce enough screens). Whatever turns up a little off the mark in the just-released larger iPad should be sorted by time you're ready to go for it, and then whatever's new on that will just be icing on the cake.

Actually my real temptation was to suggest you get one mini and one big one but maybe that's just not possible. Probably your wife would be happy with the mini, so lightweight and handy as they will fit into most handbags. Can't you convert one of those toaster ovens or whatever they gave you for wedding prezzies into ipad-cash?! ;) Good luck and enjoy.

12. Welshman2oo5 thread starter macrumors member

I like the way you think LizKat! Getting one 16gb Wifi Retina 4th gen and one 16gb Wifi Mini would be interesting. I think I would be alright dropping the cellular as I have an iPhone for the times where I am away from WiFi and need to look something up,however, it would be the downgrade from the 32gb to the 16gb that would hurt the most... aren't most retina apps more than a gig nowadays?

13. Welshman2oo5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. For those who care, I decided to go with a 16gb WiFi only Mini and a 16gb 4th generation Wifi only model for about $105 more than option 1 from my post above.