two momentus xt in raid 0 on macbook pro 13.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekkietekkie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. tekkietekkie macrumors member

I did some searching around but couldnt find much info on anyone using a mac

has anyone tried two of these drives in raid 0 ? I mostly interested in the real life read/ write data

I am debating between 2 of these or to install a SSD to boot and then one of them for the data

does the xt work any faster as a secondary drive then say a 7200rpm drive? or does it really only work if your booting from it? ... I mean as far as read/writing random data such as photos

tks

2. dsio macrumors regular

I considered it before going ordering an SSD and 1TB disk. It will be faster, but still not as fast as even an entry level SSD in terms of throughput. Latency wise it should be decent, and it would boot fast, but not as fast as an SSD.

Given the option the SSD+HDD still won out but the MXT RAID option is interesting, especially as the 4GB of SLC NAND on the two should still function correctly being that it is filesystem agnostic and runs at the hardware level. 8GB just isn't enough for everything I want, or even close to it sadly.

3. tekkietekkie thread starter macrumors member

yeah clearly it wont be as fast as a SSD

basically I am replacing my desktop that I have and it has a SSD for booting and then 2 x 1TB WD blacks in raid0 for my data

until they come out with some reasonable (priced) thunderbolt options I need something that is going to run decent + size, firewire 800 maxing out at 100MBs is not very fast unfortunetly

I need around 300GB for my photos, if I use that from an external disk it will be far to slow vs what I have today :(

I hope Lacie soon releases their thunderbolt enclosure