Two monitors, two rooms

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Imaya, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Imaya macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if such software exist. I have a mac pro in my home office and would like to also plug a second monitor (HD TV) in the living room. Is there a way for me to see what is showing on the TV?

I want to use that instead of streaming to my apple TV in the living room which is unable to play 1080p movies.

Of course I don't want to mirror both monitors, I would like to be able to look at my emails in the office while my girlfriend watch a movie.

Thank you!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could just connect the tv as you would another monitor, provided you can find a cable that long. Then you just set it up as a separate monitor and you could play movies, etc through iTunes

3. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

If you want to be able to do other stuff on the second monitor while the HDTV is watching video full screen use Boxee. It's the only software I know of that doesn't cancel full screen when you click out.

Apple TV would be a much better choice though.

4. ShamrockSolace macrumors member

Currently running this set up

I use the TV as an extended desktop. I use F8 Spaces for viewing both monitors. The main issue I have is that the keyboard and mouse are in the office.

I have tried remote desktop on iPod touch. Didn't like the speed through wifi and screen was difficult to use as a remote desktop. Had Keyscan RF remote, that did not work, range was bad.

Still looking for a solution for controlling the computer when in the living room. Currently walking is the solution that works.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Have you got an iPhone? If so use Teamviewer.