Two month old MBA... Display is messed up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by duelingdragons, Sep 4, 2013.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Today, I noticed a vertical line going down the right side of my MBA purchased in June (Haswell).

I've tried everything from resetting the PRAM to reinstalling ML, with no success.

Sigh. Do you guys know roughly how long it takes for Apple to repair a machine with an issue like this? I'm so bummed, and I can't really afford to be without a computer for too long.

It's very noticeable and clearly a hardware defect.

2. Spacial macrumors 6502

I would imagine Apple will do their best to expedite it since most everyone needs their computer. As far as how long, save yourself time spent here & just call Apple, you're going to have to anyway.

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Would it be more efficient to bring it to an Apple Store?

4. calvol macrumors 6502a

Can you post a pic? I cleaned mine once with too much water on a towel and it did this for about 24 hours till it dried out, and then back to normal. Seemed water seemed to creep into the base of the display where the connectors are.

5. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

That's a dead line of pixels. I have seen this before in another screen. You will need to take it in for repairs. Nothing you can do will make it go away.

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Take it to an Apple store and ask for a new one.

8. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

That seems awfully wasteful. If it was two days, sure. If it was two weeks, sure, I guess it's still within the return period. But two months? Seriously...

It does look like a faulty LCD panel. I'd either take it into Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) to have a repair performed. They will likely replace the display assembly, which is not a terribly complicated repair. If Apple quotes you a long turn around (3-5 days) then check with an AASP, they typically adhere to stricter metrics (turn around time, parts used, etc) and as such usually have next day turn around times.

You can find AASPs in your area using Apple's locate tool - https://locate.apple.com

edit: Just realized you're running Mavericks. Apple might refuse service if you can't prove that you're part of the developer program. If thats an issue then you would likely have much better luck with an AASP. Either way it's a pretty simple repair that shouldn't take too long (unless the part is backordered, not likely).

9. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

In the screenshot I was running Mavericks, however, I have since downgraded to ML :)

Going to go to the nearest Apple Store after I get out of work. Thanks all for the advice.

10. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Whatever it is, it looks like you are going to get a replacement.

11. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Pretty awesome story:

I go to the Apple Store, get there at 6:30 and am told I won't be seen until 7:45. So I kill some time, come back, and get seated. I end up waiting until about 8:10, before the manager comes up to me and says sorry, someone will be with me shortly.

Then he looks at my computer real quick, and was like "hang on".

Comes back out with a brand new MBA.. great, except mine was BTO with 8GB of RAM instead of 4.

He was like "I know, we don't have any of those, so here's what you're getting".. and gives me a brand new MBA with 8GB of RAM, the upgraded processor (1.7), AND a 512GB SSD instead of my 256GB.

Needless to say, I'm glad my old machine broke, haha.

12. viespace macrumors newbie

wtf!:eek:

13. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

You lucky son of a :D! Awesome turn out.

14. larry918 macrumors regular

...you lucky son of a bitch. xD

15. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

16. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

He pretty much said it was because when he came around to say sorry for the wait, I was polite and courteous back to him.. he was like "that makes me want to help you more"... ha. Seriously though, that was like a $500 upgrade.

17. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

That was a nice upgrade, and like you already posted, it was actually good your laptop broke! I think that it is great that you were actually patient with them. Patience and respect for others obviously goes a long way.

Congrats.

18. Macbookair2013 macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1637409

Still waiting for a response as to how Apple will handle this one.
    They´ve been nothing but helpfull since day one though and the service has been outstanding.

When I first recieved my MBA 29th of july this year the delivery man plotted in not at home, but never came around, we were in the garden, and I had to pick up the MBA at the post office in the rain.

Apple then compensated me with a brand new apple TV for the inconvenience.

I am glad to hear that you got an upgrade. In my case, I already have maxed out specs on my 11,6" MBA.