Two month old OS X install hangs on lock up - Intel Mini

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ok,

I've been using my mini all the time for the past two months since I got it. Its maximum down time has been about four hours, I usually leave it on. I saw that there were Frontrow updates so I ran software update, there were four there, three required a restart. {Please someone invent an OS that doesn't require restarts}. I download them and install them. The 'restart or shutdown' window hovers in the way, even Microsoft has a 'I'll shutdown later' button. I close everything, click restart and go off to make a cup of tea.

Now it won't start up, it hangs on the 'loading os x' screen, the blue bar went over to about 80% the first time then froze and now it gets to about 10%. The mouse cursor still moves but the blue bar doesn't animate. Starting up in verbose mode leads to a blue screen with the mouse cursor and that's it.

I've put the install disk in and I've verified the file permissions and scanned the disk, all is fine.

What do I do now?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Hey all, sorry I couldn't report back on this sooner, my internet connection went down last night too.

Its all fixed now.

Boot up into save mode, remove all items from the librar/startup items folder and remove all items from system prefs - accounts - login items.

I posted on the Apple Support forums and it seems to be a very common issue with installing both the latest security update and the quicktime update on Intel macs.