Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Well okay, I don't quite consider myself a n00b, but I'm relatively inexperienced compared to some of the members of this forum ;). Anyhow, two questions:

1) Is there a way that I can make all folders open up in the column view and sorted by "Kind"? Sort of how Windows had an "Apply this to all folders" setting.

2) I have dual monitors and (I hate to keep referencing this but...) with my nVidia drivers in Windows, there was an option to configure a keystroke to throw a window onto the other monitor. So for instance, if Word was open in monitor 1, I could hit CTRL+\ and it would toss it to monitor 2. Is there an equivalent feature in OS X?

Thanks!

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
To answer question number one:

Highlight a Folder and go to View in the Finder Menu Bar click on show view options (commad+J) There you can select how you want to show the content of the Folder sorted by. To show all folders in column view change the setting in the main Finder Window to column.( Finder toolbar should have little icons there)

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
alexstein said:
To answer question number one:

Highlight a Folder and go to View in the Finder Menu Bar click on show view options (commad+J) There you can select how you want to show the content of the Folder sorted by. To show all folders in column view change the setting in the main Finder Window to column.( Finder toolbar should have little icons there)
In Windows, the setting applies to every folder, everywhere (when you tell Windows to do this). In Mac, it's different. If you do what is suggested above, this will work, but any folders you have set previously (like a subfolder in your home directory, for example), when opened directly, will display however they were the last time you opened them. The Finder does not provide a way to say "open every single Finder window in column view, regardless of how I may have opened certain windows in the past." If it does, I haven't found it. You can, however, check the setting in the Finder prefs that says something like "open all new Finder windows in column view". This will ensure that, if you hit Command+N in the Finder, it will open a new window in column view. Everywhere you browse from there will be in column view, I believe.

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
The previous post is not correct. Yes, you can specify that every window in OS X open in column view. Just do the following:

Change the focus to the Finder.
Click on Finder, Preferences
Click the box that says Open new windows in column view

As far as view options for folders you can change view options by doing this:

Open a folder from the Finder
Click on View, Show View Options
select your preferences and select for all windows.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
electronboy said:
The previous post is not correct. Yes, you can specify that every window in OS X open in column view. Just do the following:

Change the focus to the Finder.
Click on Finder, Preferences
Click the box that says Open new windows in column view
No, that's not what he's looking for. That will make it so new windows open in column view, but if you open a folder within a window (so that it doesn't open in a new window), it will still be in whatever mode it was in the last time it was viewed.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Aye, mduser63 is correct. It's just rather annoying to be browsing a folder in column view sorted by Kind (how I want it), then double click on a sub folder and everything is changed to icons or tabbed viewing. Hrmpf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.