Two music libraries?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GregBoccuti, Oct 30, 2008.

1. GregBoccuti macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Interesting dilemma that I have come across. I am an audio engineer (BA in Music Recording Technology) and work with a remote recording company. Very quickly am I getting tired of listening to poor quality MP3s through my pro-level stereo monitors.

I am contemplating on re-inputting all of my music back onto my computer, once as a high quality audio file (WAV, ACC, etc.) and then again as a space saving lower quality version (MP3, some from of lossless). Obviously, using the higher quality file for listening on my speakers from my computer, and the lower quality so that I can fit all of my music on my iPod.

My first question is can iTunes do this? Is there an easier way then having both versions of every file in there and un-checking the MP3.

I am thinking about getting a second music playback/organization program, so that iTunes can handle my MP3's (for its ease of syncing with my iPod and iPhone), and then using the second application solely for playback of my high quality files. Any suggestions on a good "jukebox" application?

What are your thoughts as far as kinds of files to use? Right now I am leaning toward WAV files for the good quality files (I really have no space restrictions, as I can dedicate almost 2TB of hard drive space for this if I need to), and apple lossless for the lower quality files. Any recommendations?

Sorry for this being long winded.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. GregBoccuti thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. I can't believe I never knew about this. My fault for not researching this further...

I still think I'm leaning toward WAV and Apple Lossless, but if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know...

4. kaminiotis macrumors newbie

Is there a way to keep mulitple libraries open at the same time and switch between them without quitting iTunes?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you have to choose a single library when you start iTunes.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For a lightweight jukebox solution, google "Cog OS X"

7. bchamorro macrumors regular