Two New Logos

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joeshell383, Jul 4, 2008.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

For General Interest and Marketing/Business:

Holiday Inn

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) announces worldwide brand relaunch of Holiday Inn

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) today announces a worldwide relaunch of the Holiday Inn brand family, comprising Holiday Inn, Express by Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express ('Holiday Inn').

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=414&NewsID=1888

Old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walmart

Walmart U.S. Refreshes Stores' Logo

For the past two years, a customer focused transformation has been taking place in Walmart's U.S. business.

Walmart’s U.S. locations will update store logos as part of an ongoing evolution of its overall brand - customers have already seen this in refreshed store signage and recent print advertisements and TV commercials.

http://walmartstores.com/FactsNews/NewsRoom/8411.aspx

Old

[​IMG]

New

[​IMG]

One interesting thing about the refresh is that the brand name now seems to be one whole word instead of hyphenated. This is present in the logo and press release.

The Walmart rebranding reminds me of the Meijer (a chain that features stores similar to Walmart Supercenters) rebranding a few years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting article in Business Week about other companies who recently refreshed their logos: http://www.businessweek.com/innovat...?chan=top+news_top+news+index_news+++analysis

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm not a huge fan of the new Holiday Inn logo, but the old one was dated and the new one is definitely more modern looking, so you can't fault them for that. The new Walmart logo, on the other hand, is terrible. Sure, the old one was a little boring, but the new one is just as boring, isn't as distinct, and is really just completely unnecessary.

3. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Holiday Inn logo was in desperate need of a refresher, but I think the new one is very bland.

I actually like the new Walmart one a lot. It is modern and up-to-date, and it definitely does make the company seem more approachable.

The approachability factor was the impetus behind using all lower-case styling in the redesign of the AT&T logo.

[​IMG]

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Delta Air Lines rebranded last year (2007)
    They went through some turbulent times (still are)

[​IMG]

Standard corporate widget introduced in 1959 as they entered the "jet" era
    This is the logo as of 1995

[​IMG]

Introduced in 2000 this is the so called "soft widget" that rounded the corners
    Known by the employees as the "frowny widget", not well received by the rank and file and "old timers" :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

In 2004 they returned to the "classic widget" as Delta sought to reclaim it's roots (but dropped "Air Lines" on the logo ;)

[​IMG]

In 2007, coming out of bankruptcy and heading into a new era :eek:

They currently have 3 or 4 livery styles (paint jobs on their airplanes)
    Changes came faster than they could catch up to... including "Song"

With the merger with Northwest, who knows how the branding will change :rolleyes:

Full brand logo history found here:
    Delta Air Lines logo history

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

if this stuff interests you, this site is always on top of this sort of thing.

Brand New

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The old Holiday Inn logo did need updating, but the new one is not "it".

As for the Wal-Mart logo...the old one was boring but serviceable. The new one...well, I can see people using that "star" after the name as if it were an asterisk...like this:

WALMART*
    *Always low wages

Lemme see if I can work up something better for that star.

EDIT: There. Fixed it for them.

Attached Files:

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The star used in your version looks like a pentagram. And the font... am I picking up a subliminal hint regarding Wal-Mart's business practices?;)

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, nothing gets by you...

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

10. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

new holiday inn [express] logo = 'appropriation' of the photoshop cs3 logo? + myspace's new header identity seems to follow the same aesthetics. someone correct me if there is a good reference of use before CS3.

new walmart logo lacks all personality. the old one was stern and allowed the consumer to see the big warehouse through its bold established feeling.. but the new one seems to be taking muscle relaxers and is trying too hard to be your friend.

bah i'm disappointed.

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That's not actually his new identity though. AFAIK they were mistaken in posting it.

12. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The new Walmart logo reminds me of the BC Children's Hospital's logo, which needless to say, is not the image you want to project of your company. Unless you're a sponsor, of course.

Attached Files:

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If the lowercase letters are supposed to make me want to shop at Walmart, they're failing ;)

At least I now know how to type it out. I was never sure if it was Wal Mart, Walmart, Wal-Mart, or what. "Trailer Trash Craphole" works just as well though :D

But seriously though, I understand the need for companies to change logos every now and then to keep them fresh and not looking ancient like the old Walmart, AT&T and Delta logos, but this whole approachability thing, do people really shop at places based on logos? Are consumers really that fickle? I'll admit, if a company I've never heard of has a logo that looks like a 10 year old made it in MS Paint, I'm probably going to avoid them, but for a company like Walmart, everyone's made their decision on whether or not to shop there, I don't see a more "approachable" logo changing that.

14. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

The Holiday Inn logo reminds me of any or all of the following:
    • Gum
    • Paper towels
    • Bleach

And if I have to see that Walmart logo every time I go there, I might have to stop shopping at Walmart altogether. Or at least shield my eyes as I walk in. It looks terrible.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You should do the world a favor and stop shopping there anyways ;)

I go to Target, even if they are slightly more expensive. I'd rather not give the scumbags who run Wally World my money

16. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I really would, but it's not like I shop there all the time anyways.

After another look at it, that Walmart logo is even more hideous now that I think about it. The only message I get out of it is "environmentally helpful" and "energy efficient." Like a lightbulb or something.

17. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

It looks like Holiday Inn is trying to go for a integrated look with their two logos. Before the only thing that carried over from logo to logo was the font though now you have the stylized 'H' in both. It'll be interesting to see if the go with a similar styling for both hotels when they relaunch their websites. You got to love integrated marketing.

Attached Files:

18. idyll macrumors 6502

Both feel evolutionary and seem to go with the times

19. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

No matter what their logo looks like I'm still not shopping at "Walmart"