Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Hey,
I was wondering if anybody tried to put two SSD in a TrashCan?
Was looking at the two D300 and one has the SSD and the other not... What about if we put two D300, each of them being with a slot for the SSD?
What do you think?
Cheers

Reactions: reukiodo

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
The video adapters are different.
Removing a non blade card and replacing with a card with a blade is not possible.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Hey,
I was wondering if anybody tried to put two SSD in a TrashCan?
Was looking at the two D300 and one has the SSD and the other not... What about if we put two D300, each of them being with a slot for the SSD?
What do you think?
Cheers

No, but you can do this:

I've heard talk that cooling might be somewhat marginal.

Another older topic here with images:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi
But nobody tried to install two gpu boards with a ssd slot on each of them?

Not even physically possible, the GPU A gets power (Apple calls it BUS BAR) from the left top side, while the GPU B get from the right top side.

Apple designed it intentionally this way so you never install the GPUs in the wrong places.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Hey, I'm coming back again on this topic. I've cleaned completely my new can and i checked the two GPUs. Yes they are different in the sense of where the power comes from. One has the two screws on the left, and the other one of the right. Anyone tried to connect a second GPU with the ssd slot and powered it with some wires to reach the good side?
The PciEx lane should be able to handle the GPU and the SSD as the same time, same as on the other GPU I guess...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Did you even investigated the late-2013 Mac Pro schematic? How you gonna route the PCIe lanes for the SSD? You can’t share the 16 lanes for the GPU, Ivy Bridge does not yet have PCIe lane partition, the PCIe lanes for the SSD came from the PCIe switch instead.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Did you even investigated the late-2013 Mac Pro schematic? How you gonna route the PCIe lanes for the SSD? You can’t share the 16 lanes for the GPU, Ivy Bridge does not yet have PCIe lane partition, the PCIe lanes for the SSD came from the PCIe switch instead.
Hi. No i didnt, and i wont probably be able to understand it. What i only see is that the GPU card taht has the SSD uses exactly the same connector as the other one, and I guess it uses a pcie x16. I dont know if the ssd and the gpu share the same pice but if it's the case, then it could be possible to do the same on the other card.
By the way, what happens if we mix GPU? a d300 and a d700 for example. I guess some people tried this since 2013?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.