Two objects which reference each other...

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Aquis, May 19, 2008.

1. Aquis macrumors member

Okay, say I have the Obj-C classes, ObjectA and ObjectB. Until now, if I want ObjectA to "use" ObjectB, I include the line:
    Code:
    #include <ObjectB.h>
    ...in ObjectA.h. But when I also want ObjectB to use ObjectA, and I try to do it the other way round at the same time, by having the line:
    Code:
    #include <ObjectA.h>
    ...in ObjectB.h, I get compile errors. So, basically, how do I allow ObjectA and ObjectB use each other?

Thanks,
    Aquis

2. hhas macrumors regular

You don't say what compile errors you're getting, but I'm guessing you need to forward declare some classes using the @class directive.

3. Nutter macrumors 6502

Yes, in general it's best to use @class to forward-declare dependencies in your header files wherever possible, and import the files you need in the .m implementation file.

So, in ObjectA.h, you'd declare the following:

Code:
    @class ObjectB;

By the way, is there a reason why you're using #include rather than #import?

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Are you actually using the classes themselves or pointers or references to the classes? In the latter case, you don't need to include the header files, just a forward declaration.

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I would imagine that using #import rather than #include is the first step to solving whatever your problems are.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

ditto.

With #include, you end up having to wrap headers in #ifndef __FOO, #define _FOO to prevent multiply including them.

7. Aquis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies...

There's no particular reason that I'm using #include over #import, except that it's what is used to include Cocoa, and seems to mostly work. I've never seen the class directive before, I'll have a go at using it - in the meantime, thanks again!

Edit: Sorry, I am using #import actually...from the start, not sure why I put #include in the first message...
    Edit: Also, the compiler reports that there is a syntax error before 'ClassA' in ClassB.h. ClassB.h is like this:
    Code:
    #import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>

#import <ClassA.h>

@interface ClassB : NSObject {
    	ClassA * myAInstance;
    }

@end
    Final Edit: Adding the @class directive does appear to work! Thanks for help!