Two of my Mac Pro Sata Drive bays are knackered...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eyup, Jun 4, 2007.

1. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

I've only found 1 other person in the apple support forum with a toasted drive bay - two of mine went.

I had a standard 250gb Seagate and a WD 500gb Caviar drive going for about a year. Added a Seagate 500gb and then after a couple of weeks the two front bays stopped working - grey screen when any drive in them and the drives appear to be dead.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

:Mac Pro 3ghz:

2. timish macrumors regular

Hi,

Yes I had the same exact symptoms when I was adding two optical drives to the unused SATA ports on the motherboard.

I reset the PRAM three times in a row and that solved the problem.

Tim

3. eyup thread starter macrumors regular

eyup

Hi Tim,

So when you reset the pram did you let it start up - then restart - three times? Or do you mean you heard the startup chime and kept the keys pressed until it chimed three times?

4. timish macrumors regular

Hi,

I held the keys down and made it Bong/Chime three times in a row.

That cleared it out.

Another thing you might want to try is reset the SMC.

Unplug all your monitors from the video card and all other connections to the back of the machine.

Unplug the power cord for 30 seconds.

Plug it back in.

Now there are some reset buttons on the motherboard that you can press too, but that is worse case scenario.

The PRAM reset 3 times in a row did it for me, and I had the same exact symptoms as you.

T

5. eyup thread starter macrumors regular

eyup

Ah well tried it -pram/smc etc - but no luck so took it to be fixed under Apple care...