two old macbooks

harlem710

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
Hi I found 2 old macbooks when sifting throug thr lot, wondering is them wort anyting?
looks like i have a imac g3 400 dv, one purple and one see trough. thnals lads

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Check ebay for those models. Filter by “Completed Listings.”

If you’re tech savvy and feel like investing in some packaging for small electronics, you could also make more money by pulling them apart and selling them off for parts so people with working machines can buy them for maintenance.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi I found 2 old macbooks when sifting throug thr lot, wondering is them wort anyting?
looks like i have a imac g3 400 dv, one purple and one see trough. thnals lads
MacBooks? these aren't mere MacBooks, they are iMacs! No, they aren't "worth" much in terms of money, even if some ridiculous eBay auctions make you think so. But over at the PowerPC subforum they are much appreciated for what they are.
if you plan on selling them check if they are in working condition or not. If so, and the inbuilt CRT is "colour true" (as in: red is red and not orange) you could sell them for 20 to 150 bucks I'd say. If they are dead - don't rip them to pieces, it's really not worth it. Sell them as one piece for some 10 to 20 bucks. in the process of pulling them apart you risk damaging parts or even harm yourself and won't really get the fortunes you are dreaming of

Reactions: AL1630 and bobesch

bobesch

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
If you’re tech savvy and feel like investing in some packaging for small electronics, you could also make more money by pulling them apart and selling them off for parts so people with working machines can buy them for maintenance.
Yeah, and maybe get electrocuted by the high-voltage of the CRT.
Stupid idea!

Reactions: amagichnich

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yeah, and maybe get electrocuted by the high-voltage of the CRT.
Stupid idea!
iMacs, if left unplugged for a day, will have discharged enough to be safe unless you're an absolute bellend and purposefully poke metal things in places with high voltage warnings without properly following discharge procedures.

The barest minimum of precautions will prevent electrocution.

bobesch

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
... unless you're an absolute bellend and purposefully poke metal things in places with high voltage warnings without properly following discharge procedures.
Yep, that's what I've meant: "unless ... poke metal things in places with high voltage warnings without properly following discharge procedures."
Anyway ... the advise to some non-technical guy to rip apart a barn-found iMacG3 to it's parts for better bargain ...: stupid idea!
(yeah, and the last action previous to ripping the iMac apart certainly will be: plug it in and check for the last time, that this machine is really dead ... cheerio)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.