Two|One Contest #3 - D-DAY - (V/26JUN)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MacRy, Jun 5, 2014.

1. MacRy, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

OK folks it's time for the next in our series of monthly contests. The rules remain the same as last time so please read them carefully.

My choice this month is inspired by today's 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings and is entitled D-DAY. Not restricted to military operations at all, simply any idea that you feel represents a deadline of some kind. Have fun with it and let's see what kind of D-Days you come up with.

Good luck everyone and please do take a moment today to remember those brave men and women who served their countries so well on that fateful day back in 1944.

--
    Submissions end 19th JUNE 2014|18:30PM Forum Time (S/19JUN)

Voting ends 26th JUN2014|18:30PM Forum Time (V/25JUN)

--

Two|One is an attempt at having a longer, parallel photography contest in which submissions are explicitly generated for the given subject and run in 21-day cycles. Two, one... are also the numbers you mutter prior to releasing your shutter in a controlled environment setting.

Contest rules
    -1st place winner receives a $2 app. AS WE HAVE A ROLLOVER FROM LAST TIME THIS WILL BE $4
    -One photo only per contestant.
    -Submitted image is limited to original work that has not been formerly displayed in the forums.
    -Winners are chosen by forum user votes.
    -1st place winner sets new contest theme within 72 hours.
    -Behind the scenes shots requirement under discussion in previous thread
    -Photos are to be prepared and submitted within a 14 day period. Thread manager closes the contest on the 14th day and voting begins.
    -Do not cast votes before that specific point in time. Forum users have 7 days to cast their votes. Vote responsibly, ideally one vote per forum user on one submission. Votes are counted upon completion of the 21-day cycle. Please respect this in order to have a fair outcome.

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Me, too. Today I stooped to such a low level that I am even hesitant to post it.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I've also got the photographers equivalent of writers block. Is that shutter block?

5. MacRy thread starter macrumors 601

MacRy

In a way that's a good thing because it's really challenging you. Do some Googling of deadlines to get some inspiration. Perhaps your photo will represent the challenge of this deadline somehow.

6. MCH-1138, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  7. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

shutter block is quite accurate AFB...

[​IMG]d-day by needfx, on Flickr

8. MacRy thread starter macrumors 601

MacRy

Looks like this is a two horse race. Sorry but I haven't had time to do anything for this one as I've been crazy busy.

Voting has begun.....

9. Meister, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

..... not yet ....

10. MacRy thread starter macrumors 601

MacRy

Well it looks as though Needfx is the winner this week. I think my challenge may have been a tad too difficult so perhaps back to basics for the next one.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Didnt needfx have 2 likes and MCH had 3 :confused:

Also: Where do I see the "forum time".
    You closed the competiton for new entries, when there was still time left on my clock.

I feel like I am missing something here ... :confused:

12. MacRy thread starter macrumors 601

MacRy

Oops my bad. It is indeed MCH. Sorry guys.

Your entry still counted Meister but it was after the 16.30 deadline (UK time).

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I really came up short on this one. The only idea I had was awful when I tried to put the concept into a photograph. Congrats to all those who took part for being so creative on a tough theme.

14. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

Hey all!

Indeed a tad difficult and specific :(, sorry for having a lousy submission.

Congrats MCH!!

Please name your app of choice for your prize!!

@Meister
    Forum operates in -5GMT, and you can find it at the centre bottom of every page across MR, right under forum jump

15. MCH-1138 macrumors 6502

MCH-1138

Thanks, all. I'd like to roll the prize money over to the next one if that's okay. I don't really have any apps in mind.

I originally wanted to try to make a shot like one of Robert Capa's iconic shots from Omaha Beach on D-Day. Then I had grand visions of trying to recreate something along the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan. But I quickly realized that I didn't have the time, patience, or photoshop skills to do it justice. So I looked at the photos I had from visiting the beaches of Normandy several years ago and came up with the shot I used.

BTS shots are below.

BTS-1 -- Original shot of Utah Beach

BTS-2 -- The lighting setup. Only the boat in the foreground was shot using the snooted flash (at the bottom of the photo). The other set pieces were backlit using only the other two flashes.

BTS-3 -- The shot I used for the boat in the foreground. If I recall, I handheld the snooted flash (seen in BTS-4) about a foot higher than the camera, so it was angled down. The snooted flash is lighting the minifigures running down the ramp.

BTS-4 -- A shot of the boat from a different angle.
    After I Pixelmator'd in the boats and the obstacles, I ran the photo through Snapseed to add the grain and the scratched film effects.

To me, the lighting on the boat in the foreground is off because I used the snooted flash to light the minifigures. It doesn't match the lighting on the rest of the scene. I tried to burn it some (so you may notice that the interior of the boat in the actual shot is darker than in the original shot), but still wasn't able to get it to where I wanted.

I'll try to get a new contest up tomorrow.

Attached Files:

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Great effort!

I also had a severe shutterblock.

17. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

Very nice MCH, you're keeping the BTS thing alive!!

roll over it is, a whopping $6 is up next for the taking!