Two optical drives: Eject key got reversed?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Derek87, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

DOH! Never mind: i went back and looked and found i had swapped cables! EEK...odd though, that the raw command from the command line knew which drive was which?...

sorry for the wasted bandwidth...

Kept here for posterity just in case you were wondering what i wasted bandwidth on...Moderated please feel free to delete whole thing if you wish!...

ok, i hope someone can help me because i'm confused.

i decided to salvage the old superdrive from my old G5 macpro and install it into the 2nd optical drive bay (lower) of my new mac pro.

problem is, even though i don't think i swapped anything, the EJECT key now defaults to the lower optical drawer when it deafulted to the upper optical bay with the 2nd drive not installed.

thankfully (somewhat) the upper drive still opens if i go "option-EJECT" but i want it to be the other way around. what happened here?

moreover, from the command line, things do work as expected:

drutil -drive 1 tray open

open the upper drawer and if i type the above comand with a "2" in place of the "1" the lower drawer opens.

hmm...i think both are set to cable select, so i am at a loss.

not unuseable by any means, but not the way it should be!

thanks for any help

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Only thing I can think of is is that the G5's disc drive jumper is set to master. Try setting it to cable select. You will see the jumper on the back where the cables get plugged into. It should also have a diagram on the drive either printed on the label or on the back and will say something like MA, CS or SL.

Here's a generic picture of what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

3. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks...you can now see from my edited post that i made a dumb mistake. :( sorry for your wasted effort, but i appreciate it.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If someone finds this useful, it was not wasteful ;).

Now if no one finds this useful, I want my 1 minute of life back :p