Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
I know a few of you have more than one watch.

One thing I have noticed is if I have auto switch on my battery life is noticeably worse.

For example, with the manual setting I get 2-3% drop/hour on my S7 watch and 4% on my S5. If I have auto switch on, I get 4-5% on my S7 and about 6-7% on my S5.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It could be related, but I quite often find my S7 cellular watch going to cellular if I am too far away from my phone, rather than Wifi in my house, and I have to toggle wifi on and off to get it to connect.

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
Did another test - last night took my SS 45mm off charge and had auto switch on. Three hours later it was down to 78%.

This morning I put it on again (fully charged) with no auto switch and manually switched and three hours later it is 94%. Can't be coincidence?

Phil77354

Contributor
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I also have two watches and I use both regularly. Are you talking about battery percentage going down when wearing the watch, or when it is sitting idle? I have noticed that the battery on the watch I am not using will go down within a day or two even if it is simply sitting on the counter but not being charged. Hadn't occurred to me that having the auto switch on or off would make a difference but it makes sense that the watch will always be 'looking for' my iPhone and staying 'in touch' with it, resulting in the battery drawing down even though the watch is not otherwise being used.

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
I also have two watches and I use both regularly. Are you talking about battery percentage going down when wearing the watch, or when it is sitting idle? I have noticed that the battery on the watch I am not using will go down within a day or two even if it is simply sitting on the counter but not being charged. Hadn't occurred to me that having the auto switch on or off would make a difference but it makes sense that the watch will always be 'looking for' my iPhone and staying 'in touch' with it, resulting in the battery drawing down even though the watch is not otherwise being used.
I am talking about my 'active' watch. It seems to drain a lot faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.