Two OS x's on one machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paul.b.davis, Nov 8, 2007.

1. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I was just wondering if it is possible to have a dual boot set up, one with Leopard and one with Tiger?

Since you can have separate partitions with Windows in them, why not have a separate one for Tiger??

anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance

2. Queso macrumors G4

Yes, this is most definitely possible. Boot from your Leopard installation DVD, then run Disk Utility to live partition your hard disk. You shouldn't need too big a partition for Tiger since it will be able to read all the applications and even your Home folder from the Leopard partition. Then simply boot from the Tiger installation DVD and install Tiger into the partition you just created. To change between the two versions, use the Startup Disk panel in System Preferences.

Oh and btw, BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!! That's really important :)

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Perfectly possible. In fact that is how I installed Leopard first time round to see if it behaves OK. I have since upgraded my Tiger partition. So far so good! :D

4. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

ok, thanks

but how do I choose which one to boot from?

I am basically doing this to play a game that does not run in Leopard, should I install the game on the Tiger partition?

thanks for the help BTW

5. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

sorry for the double post but I had another question

Will my time machine backups be sufficient for backing up all my data? if something goes wrong can Leopard do a restore from time machine?

thanks again

6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

You can either use the Startup Disk Preference Pane (in Leopard or Tiger) to select which OS to boot from or hold down Alt/Option during boot to show the boot selection menu.

If the game in question only runs on Tiger, it should be installed in Tiger to the Tiger partition.

You Time Machine backup should be fine. Leopard can do a restore from a TM backup. Just insert the Leopard DVD and in the installer there is an option to "Restore from Time Machine Backup" in the menu bar.

7. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I did this with my Mac Pro with the developer version of Leopard until it came out. 1 drive with Tiger, another a Carbon Copy Clone of that same install with the Leopard upgrade. Since you can dynamically move hard drive partitions, you can just create a new partition on your backup disk and boot from that. Make the Leopard part the standard boot install, but when you want to boot into Tiger, just hold down the Option key, as you would if you wanted to boot into Windows after running Boot Camp.

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have leopard and tiger installed on my mac pro on different hard drives. The tiger partition is for recovery, just in case something goes wrong with leopard.

10. writeous macrumors regular

Is it possible to install Leopard on a usb 2.0 external hard drive, but still have Tiger as the default OS when booting? If so, what do I need to do to go about doing this.:confused:

11. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

well it all went smoothly, but there is one problem after the fact

after I played the game for a while, I rebooted into Leopard, and it seemed a little slower and when I plugged in my external for time machine to do a backup (I disabled it from backing up the Tiger partition) it just got stuck on "preparing to backup"

any advice?

thanks