Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
London, UK
Hi

I've got a couple of things in OSX which i've been trying for ages to figure out but had no luck and was wondering if anyone here could help...

1: I have my login screen set to display user icons. I have an admin account which is hidden (because it's UID is below 501). The question is, how can I log into this admin account?

The only way I can find is to first log into a normal user account, go into System preferences, click the lock icon (entering admin name and password) change settings to display Name & Password from the login screen, then go back to login screen and login as admin. Then when finished, set it all back again. Is there an easier way than this?

2:How can you remove the icons from the top right of the main menu bar. I have an old network connection dialup icon there. Now i've upgraded to broadband this isn't needed and I can't find any way of removing it?

Thanks for any help..

M

Moog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
London, UK
Jaffa Cake said:
I can't help you with your first question, but to remove the icons simply drag them out of the menu bar while you've got the Command key pressed. The icon will disappear in a little puff of smoke.

Oh yea... thanks, it's so simple when you say it like that :)

One down, one to go :)

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Moog101 said:
1: I have my login screen set to display user icons. I have an admin account which is hidden (because it's UID is below 501). The question is, how can I log into this admin account?

The only way I can find is to first log into a normal user account, go into System preferences, click the lock icon (entering admin name and password) change settings to display Name & Password from the login screen, then go back to login screen and login as admin. Then when finished, set it all back again. Is there an easier way than this?

Enable root user access in Netinfo Manager (in the "Security" menu), located in your Utilities folder. Once the root user is enabled, the "Other..." option in the login window user list will appear. This will allow you to input a specific user and password.

Along with your other user icons in the login window, this will appear...

Attachments

• other.png
    other.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 293

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Moog101 said:

Set your login screen to not display the user icons.

Moog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
London, UK
Thanks aquajet, that's pretty much perfect, a pity i can't hide the "other" option until you press the ctrl key or something like that.

Yep, I found the option to display the user name / password box, but it's a machine for the parents and I don't want to confuse them too much at this stage.

Getting them to find the left click on a single button mouse has been a struggle so far :)

M

Moog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
London, UK
aquajet said:
Enable root user access in Netinfo Manager (in the "Security" menu), located in your Utilities folder.

Sorry, what setting exactly to I need to do to enable root user access from NetInfo Manager? I presume it's one of the settings under /users/root/ ??

Thanks again...

M

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Moog101 said:
Sorry, what setting exactly to I need to do to enable root user access from NetInfo Manager? I presume it's one of the settings under /users/root/ ??

Thanks again...

M

Go to the "Security" menu, select "Authenticate". Type your user password, then select "Enable Root User" from the "Security" menu. Your computer will then ask you to input and verify a new password for the root user. Once you do that, you're all set, and the "Other..." entry will now appear in the login window the next time you login to your computer.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
aquajet said:
Go to the "Security" menu, select "Authenticate". Type your user password, then select "Enable Root User" from the "Security" menu. Your computer will then ask you to input and verify a new password for the root user. Once you do that, you're all set, and the "Other..." entry will now appear in the login window the next time you login to your computer.
I beg of you, do not enable root unless you absolutely have to and you know exactly what you are doing. You can really mess up you system and cause much damage. There are very few times when root actually needs to be used. I've only had to use it once in 4 years of using OS X. Once in 4 years is probably more than the average user will every have to use it. Be careful.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
grapes911 said:
I beg of you, do not enable root unless you absolutely have to and you know exactly what you are doing. You can really mess up you system and cause much damage. There are very few times when root actually needs to be used. I've only had to use it once in 4 years of using OS X. Once in 4 years is probably more than the average user will every have to use it. Be careful.

There's a difference between enabling root access and logging in as root. You must actually type in "root" and its password during login in order to gain root privileges. Root privileges allow you to make certain changes to the system that can render your system useless if you don't know what you're doing. Just don't login as root, and you'll be okay. I've had my systems configured this way for 5 years without any issues.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
aquajet said:
There's a difference between enabling root access and logging in as root. You must actually type in "root" and its password during login in order to gain root privileges.
Very true, but there is also a difference between enabling root access and not enabling root access. When root is enabled you can access root privileges via the terminal even when not using the root account. You just need the password. This cannot be done when root is disabled. Enabling root takes down one many barricades imposed by OS X to keep your computer safe. Will your computer still be safe? Probably, but it seems like an unnecessary risk with little return.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
grapes911 said:
Very true, but there is also a difference between enabling root access and not enabling root access. When root is enabled you can access root privileges via the terminal even when not using the root account. You just need the password. This cannot be done when root is disabled. Enabling root takes down one many barricades imposed by OS X to keep your computer safe. Will your computer still be safe? Probably, but it seems like an unnecessary risk with little return.

Regular users can gain certain root privileges in the terminal using "sudo", regardless of whether or not root access is enabled.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
aquajet said:
Regular users can gain certain root privileges in the terminal using "sudo"
But by becoming root, a user has root privileges until they exit. sudo only gives root privileges for 1 command. This is must easier to manage and control. If you get into root and forget to exit, you can leave your computer open to many problems. You can't forget to exit out of a sudo command.

And I believe regular users cannot use sudo. Only administrators can.

Moog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
London, UK
Seems like i've opened up a can of worms here :)

Thanks for the replies, I think i'll take the chance and have root enabled. I wasn't planning on ever logging in as root anyway.

At least it'll still be infinitely more secure than Windows (the reason I bought my parents the Mac was because when I saw the amount of spyware and auto diallers that had got installed on their windows box, it brought back too many bad memories of when I had a windows PC, so I went straight up the shop and bought a nice new Mac Mini for them and gave the PC to a charity shop:)

M

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
grapes911 said:
But by becoming root, a user has root privileges until they exit. sudo only gives root privileges for 1 command.
Not if that sudo command is to open a root shell. Try sudo -s or sudo zsh (my prefered shell, feel free to insert whatever shell you use).

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
reh said:
Not if that sudo command is to open a root shell. Try sudo -s or sudo zsh (my prefered shell, feel free to insert whatever shell you use).
Again, correct. I wouldn't recommend it though. It's just bypassing another security level.

rand()

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Michigan
No need!

There's no need to enable root - in fact, you don't need to see the "Other..." option in the first menu. I tried this in both Tiger and Panther, and it works on both.

At the Login box, press [option]-right_arrow, then [option]-return. The user list will dissappear, and be replaced by simple "Name:" and "Password:" fields. Rock!

This method is probably best, because you don't need to enable root, or expose the "Other..." button at all, and you still have access to the admin account.

-rand()

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
rand() said:
At the Login box, press [option]-right_arrow, then [option]-return. The user list will dissappear, and be replaced by simple "Name:" and "Password:" fields. Rock!

-rand()

Great find - on my 10.4.3, you just have to select any account name, and then press [option]-return. You can select by hitting any arrow key, the first letter of an account name, or mouse. Odd that they can't have a one step process of just [option]-return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.