Two Pages Versions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VFN, Jun 1, 2014.

1. VFN macrumors member

I've learned that there are two versions of Pages on this MacBook Pro. Does version 5.2 open all the .pages documents that were created by the older version, the one with the inkwell icon? If so, I'd like to remove the old version icon from the Dock and replace it with the 5.2 version.

Thanks.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. VFN, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

VFN thread starter macrumors member

I think I read that opening a 4.3 version with a higher one, such as 5.2, could alter the document in some fashion.

I've moved a 5.2 icon to the Dock so right now this Mac has 2 Pages icons sitting there. :p It's not my Mac and the owner is not very computer savvy, so I suppose I'll leave things be for right now.

If anyone knows if opening a 4.3 Pages document with a 5.2 version can be a problem please let me know.

Thanks.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

There's no problem opening a 4.x document with 5.x.

The file will be converted to be compatible with 5.x. The catch is that you won't be able to open that file in 4.x afterwards. You can only go forward, not back.

I suggest you remove the 4.x icon from the Dock. The old versions of the iWork apps should have automatically been placed in an "iWork '09" folder in the Apps folder when you upgraded the apps, should the old versions be needed for some reason.

5. VFN thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did find the old Pages in the iWork '09 folder and I wondered why the old Pages was in the Dock yet not in the Applications folder.

Thanks.

Til next time....