Two Part Question: Where to Buy? What Accessories?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maverickem09, May 25, 2008.

1. maverickem09 macrumors member

Okay, I'm getting a Macbook (the 2.4 Ghz white) fairly soon.

First Question:
    Where should I buy it? The Apple Store, Bestbuy, or on campus at the campus bookstore (which is an authorized Apple dealer and repair shop)?

Second question:
    What accessories are necessary and which are generally more useful (I'm planning on getting the wireless Might Mouse and a case or something similar to protect it) and which ones are the best?

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Buy it on campus later this summer when they have their Back To School promotion. The past 2 summers they offered a discount, a free iPod and a free printer.

Cheers.

3. maverickem09 thread starter macrumors member

Sweet. What school was that at? Or was it pretty much 'Apple-wide'? I know that Apple essentially gives printers away with their $100 rebate (and the printer only costing $95 or so). But everyone could use a free iPod.
    :)

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

It is an Apple promotion that was available at all colleges.

Here is a link to last years promotion.

Cheers.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you want to get it at the Apple Store to get this education/iPod promotion. Some schools don't offer the free printer or iPod. Plus if your computer is crappy and you need an exchange, it's a lot easier to exchange at the Apple Store. The school will try to repair it.

6. maverickem09 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, it looks like Apple's trying to clear the shelves of the 8G iPod Touch since they're offering the choice of that or an 8G Nano (who would go for that over the Touch unless they already had a Touch?) for free this time around. The free printer offer is year-round with any Mac.

7. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

accessories

no one has mentioned accessories like you asked for so i'll throw in my 2 cents...

PalmGuard by Moshi to keep the palm rests from getting nasty
    ScreensavRz from RadTech to keep oils from your fingers from transferring to the screen (excellent product from an excellent company, and can also be used to clean the keyboard, screen, and case)
    also a Vyper sleeve from BooqBags for protection inside your backpack from books crushing it.

BT mouse from Apple or Radtech.us wouldn't be too bad either!

8. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Three laptop accessories I can't do without:

[​IMG]
    Zeroshock laptop sleeve - These are composed of a high-resistance polyurethane foam and provide excellent protection against impact. I have purchased a total of 6 of these so far. I don't buy a laptop without one of these now.

[​IMG]
    ShaggyMac screen saver / keyboard cover - These lay on the keyboard and cushion the screen when the laptop is closed; preventing damage, scuffs, and other screen marks created by the keyboard. They also double as a "professional grade" optical polishing cloth...perfect for cleaning your screen. Same as with the ZeroShock...these are mandatory for me.

[​IMG]
    iCurve stand by Griffin Technologies - Raises your laptop up to eye level, provides increased airflow underneath to keep it cool, and just looks cool. (unfortunately, these are no longer made...glad I bought mine when I did!)

9. maverickem09 thread starter macrumors member

I found a case that I think I like, it's called an Ottercase, it was on ebay a few weeks ago and I checked it out.

What do you guys think about the InvisibleSheild?

Thanks for the input though, I'm definitely getting a stand and those microfiber sheets that go in between the keyboard and screen.

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I really didn't buy any accessories for my MacBook, other than a case to carry it around it. I bought a Brenthaven, and love it, but they're not as fun looking...not sure what you're after.

As for where to buy it, wherever you can get the best deal. At Apple, you can get the discount, free iPod, and printer. I don't think you can get all of that at Best Buy, unless they do a price match, but that's a lot to match. When I bought mine at CompUSA, I didn't get the iPod or printer, but I needed it THAT day, so I had to give it up.

I've used the Invisible Shield once on my cell phone, and just ordered another one. I thought of getting it for my MacBook, but it seemed like a pain to install on it, although I could be wrong. I've had mine for 2 years, and there's hardly any scratches, although some extra protection would have been nice.

One thing about the IS, when I took it off my Treo, I could have sworn that it felt different than when I first put it on. Maybe because I was used to the IS being on it, and forgot how it originally felt, but it did feel different.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

12. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

...Funny thing is i own these three accessories as well! :D

In addition to the Shaggymac, i ordered the Prime Pac Cleaning Kit, which work remarkably well!

13. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yes, but why is the Zeroshock case not in stock (see my previous post)?