Two paths: Discontinuation or New Design

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Andres Cantu, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

In what way are your needs changing? I don't see any urgency to upgrade based on what you said, unless you are the type of person who wants a new computer every couple years. When you have an actual need then you can survey the current product landscape. By then we may know the fate of the Mini. :)

2. EnderBeta macrumors 6502a

EnderBeta

Since you are happy with Dual Core would a 2014 model year Mac Mini be alright?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0R74LL/A/Refurbished-Mac-Mini-30GHz-Dual-core-Intel-Core-i7

That is a link for a Dual core i7 clocked at 3GHz with a 1TB Fusion drive and 16GB RAM. The processor has a Intel Iris graphics option. Apple is asking $1189 and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Like the previous poster above me states though. Who knows what is going to happen to the Mac Mini.

If you want a faster Dual core model this is pretty much it. :(

3. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I am a light MM Computer user; surfing websites, typing correspondence, paying bills, etc. My MM(Late 2012) has OS "El Capitan" installed and my other MM(Late 2014) is still on OS "Yosemite". Both of these machines are running smoothly, however, my dilemma is how long will both of these machines be supported and be able to handle the almost annual OS upgrades which grow more complex by each upgrade??

4. EnderBeta macrumors 6502a

EnderBeta

My 2012 Mac Mini 2.3GHz i7 is running macOS sierra without any issues. I think your 2.5GHz Mac Mini would be ok with Sierra.

I don't know what the future holds in terms of minimum requirements but for your use case I think you would probably be ok for another year or two even if you stuck with Sierra.

I have my fingers crossed for an updated Mac Mini or something in the same spirit (affordable headless Mac) in the near future.

5. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The machines could last 10 years or longer, plenty of old ones still operational. The problem might be lack of security updates if we are obliged to remain on an older OS. Probably have to do banking and credit card purchases on something else. Or I shall have to learn more about router security. I know little about it currently.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2017 ---
    Interesting Point.

6. EnderBeta macrumors 6502a

EnderBeta

I honestly don't think running newer operating systems on older hardware is going to be that bad especially for basic tasks. My Core 2 Quad Q9650 is not bad for general use. I expect the Mac Mini to be pretty much the same way. Maybe they won't be able to handle playing 4K videos when Apple adds 4K to the mix and they won't be good for playing games. But I think it will be years and years before they can't handle browsing the web. :D

7. now i see it macrumors 68040

Based on prior history, (Snow Leopard) Plan on about 5 years or so after an OS gets superseded until web browsers will no longer be supported and sooner for new apps.

The security thing on an old mac is more of an urban legend than a reality. Has anyone ever heard of a single computer running any of the old Mac OSes ever getting infected into a bot? Hackers can't be bothered with these old Mac OSes. Not enough people use them. Granted there were a few Trojan Horses that caused some mischief in the past, but those were deployed via social engineering to dum dums. Any computer can be compromised if you keep on clicking "OK" to unsolicited crap.

8. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

You can replace the screen ...

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh? Easy for a novice to do? Inexpensive? Recommended by Apple?

Nah. The iMac is not designed to be user-serviceable, despite what talented and creative users may do with it.

10. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

I didn't say/wrote that. Just said, that some parts can be replaced. On of these is the display.

Easy? No. Inexpensive? No (even if you buy it as used part).
    Recommended by Apple? No.

What whas the last time Apple recommended something, that can the users do themselve? Especially update the hardware?

11. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

In that case, I stand by my previous comment. Your needs are really simple and your 2012 mini will be more than adequate for years to come. The 2014 should be good for even longer. Why do you feel the need to upgrade your operating system every year? I'm still running 10.8.5 because it's more compatible with my old expensive software (and I do advanced things like video/audio eding, CAD, 3d modelling, database managment, etc). The only issue I ran into recently is that Apple doesn't support Safari on 10.8.5. This gave me a problem with one website because of new security features the old version of Safari doesn't support. However Chrome met their requirements so that was an easy fix.

Now I also have an external drive that can boot into El Capitan and am planning to install Sierra on an external SSD, see how much of my old software can work with it and transition into the new version of Final Cut Pro. But I'm not in much of a hurry since I'm happy with my old software at this point. And with needs as basic as yours, I can't see where new software would offer any advantage.

So basically, just enjoy your computers and continue installing updates if you feel the need. When you get to the point they can't be updated, you can ask yourself whether you really need the next new version of MacOS. That will be the time to start thinking about your next computer.

12. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

My Mac Mini is 6 years old and I feel like I can get 10-15 years out of it no problem. Every since Sandy Bridge I feel like upgrades have been very little in performance. Even my 1st Gen i5 ThinkPad is still running great.

13. now i see it macrumors 68040

My 2008 Mac Mini croaked in 2016. Irreparable. Dream on. In 10 years there won't be a browser available for it that can work on the web. There won't be a printer that can work with it. There won't be any new apps that will work with it.
    Life is too short to be using 10 year old Mac Minis.

14. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

:) Not really disagreeing with you here! But yeah, that's the thing about the Mini -- Apple, very unusually, actually says "Bring your own display, keyboard, and mouse" in their advertisements for this device. And so yeah, this is an Apple computer where the user is encouraged to manage the display hardware by themselves...

15. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It may croak before I get it's max life out of it. But then I will just buy another $300 Mini or whatever that works for my needs.

16. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

I don't disagree with that. However the OP has one machine that is 3 years old and another that is 5 years old. So, considering his very modest needs, I think it's premature to worry about a replacement.

17. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

I'm using a 12 year old Mac in the basement. There's a 34 year old beast in the closet. If I have to, I could go back in time and win WWII with that later device. Codes and bomb designs do not need to be displayed in color.
    You want to keep them running, you have to take care of them.

18. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

I do not doubt you are correct.
    However the possibility of a criminal getting access to my investment accounts is totally unacceptable.
    (Being retired with no official pension, the loss of my investments would leave suicide as a very real option)

19. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Yep, 2005 PPC Mini (1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM) with Tiger or with Leopard, no intrusions detected, no malware or viruses ever snapped-up with ClamXav. Even in Tiger 10.4.11, I can record 16 simultaneous 24 bit/44.1Khz tracks into Pro Tools 7 via that machine with an 003 Rack and an ART Tube-Opto Pre. FW400 connection, and I hook a FW400 SSD onto the second FW400 port of the Digidesign 003R.

But it'll only run Firefox up to v3.16 or something. Whatever.

20. G5-PowerLifter macrumors member

G5-PowerLifter

I installed sierra on a good old iMac 2008 with a 2,4 ghz core 2 duo. Despite being officially unsupported, sierra actually runs smoother and faster than El Capitan

21. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

What? :eek:

22. Synchro3 macrumors 68000

Synchro3

23. Miat macrumors 6502a

This.

Keep the dust out, the heat down, and the power clean.

24. now i see it macrumors 68040

25. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

The facts of this article are proof that things need to be made thicker, not thinner. Perhaps bigger and not smaller, and certainly never Fun-Size.