Two people sharing one copy of Mail without using separate accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gingeravenger, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Gingeravenger macrumors newbie

Dear All
    I have checked all the posts to the best of my ability and can't find anything applicable, so here goes.

My wife and I have 3 email accounts between us (1 personal one each and a joint email for stuff like banks and bills etc.) When we first got an Imac I set all 3 accounts up in MacMail and ran 3 different inboxes which worked ok apart from the fact that when sending emails we would sometimes mistakenly send our emails from the wrong account (eg my wife would send something from my account or vice versa)

I appreciate this isn't a huge problem and with a bit of concentration would not happen, however it was inconvenient and needless to say I was kicked out of Mail and had to seek refuge in a copy of Thunderbird. (which I just can't to seem to get along with)

Since then I have been trying to find a way for 2 people to co exist in mail without using 2 separate accounts on the mac (this is not an option as the wife won't have it!!)

Is there anyway to run 2 separate Mail programs in one account?

If we do end up having to share one version of mail does anyone having any tips on reducing the likelihood of sending emails from the wrong accounts?

Cheers in advance

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

There is no way to do what you want in Mail.app - Why cant you have seperate accounts - just make sure you dont password them, so she can have a good look through your stuff every couple of days... - Thats the only realistic way (apart from seperate programs) that I can think of.

3. Gingeravenger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought that might be the case (I have done a lot of searching on the matter) Its not the privacy aspect of separate accounts thats the problem its just a bit of a faff switching between accounts when you want to do things.

Will have to go away and learn how to love Thunderbird :(

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Have you considered enabling fast user switching? Takes the hassle out of having two accounts ie logging in and out all the time. It's in System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

Just have two separate accounts and fast user switching, even if one account is the 'main one' and the other is only for your email.