Two people using separate mail accounts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paduck, Apr 21, 2008.

1. paduck macrumors 6502

For the longest time, my wife and I have been using Eudora as our mail program on our succession of Macs. As many of you probably know, you can configure your Mac in such a way so that by double-clicking on the Eudora Settings file, you will launch Eudora pointing to separate mail files. From the perspective of the user, they have their own personal version of Eudora on a computer that is configured with only one user account.

What I would like to do is have a similar configuration for Mac Mail since Eudora is starting to get dated and go flaky on me with Leopard. Is there a way to setup Mac Mail so that depending on which icon you click on, it will launch either mail for me or mail for my spouse? Right now all I can figure out is that I can have a single mail application that will allow me to pull up both accounts. I don't really want that - I would prefer to have one computer log-in with two (apparently) separate mail environments.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Nice that Eudora had that, but I don't think Mail has exactly what you're looking for. You can look at stuff from the two Mail accounts separately in Mail, like you said, but it's not exactly what you want.
    I assume you don't want separate user accounts, but it seems that's the way Apple sees you achieving this. You mind find separate accounts tolerable with Fast User Switching...

But I know multiple accounts can be a hassle, for a couple. Sometimes having the one account is simpler. The best way is to have your own Mac! ; )

3. nkj575 macrumors newbie

I think you can give Thunderbird a shot it supports profile based accounts so u can do multiple , it lets u do that in windows and linux so should in mac