Carrier Two pre-orders to one AT&T line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UntitledImage, Sep 9, 2016.

1. UntitledImage macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Hi,

So I've ended up with its two pre order to each of our lines (4 phones total). I waited all night to order on Apple.com, on my end I couldn't get the site or the app up until 3:20 and by then everything had slipped a lot. I ordered 1 phone for each of our AT&T lines paid outright with September 26-October 10 delivery days between the two.

Then this morning, I looked on Best Buy and they had the phones we wanted listed as "Get it by 9/16" for shipping (no idea if that's a guarantee!) for NEXT only, both our lines approved so I ordered those.

Then reading on here, people are saying Best Buy doesn't usually ship the day they post on the "Get It By..." In the past for phone launches.

What happens if I just keep both orders and cancel which ever doesn't ship first? Is there going to be a problem with AT&T or our lines? Will one order force the other to be invalid even though it'd different stores?

Thanks!

2. cforster macrumors 6502

I did this with Verizon last year on accident. Apple cancelled the order, but it took several days after it went to preparing for shipment.

If you have one you want to make sure makes it through I don't recommend it.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

4. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Will I be ok if I cancel one?? Which one do you guys think is the better bet?

5. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I have this going on right now. I'm a little worried, but going to stick it out.

I ordered from AT&T and used my next upgrade. It was at 11:50pm - ATT opened early for me. Put down a down payment and had a $99 balance. But in my haste, I didn't see the shipping date was Oct 13-Oct 20th. Since the Apple store wasn't back up yet, I refreshed there until it came back up. The Jet Black 7 128gb had Sept 16th delivery. I purchased a paid in full phone. As I was checking out, it told me that I had an ATT Next balance of $99 but that I could still order a phone. I'm assuming because I was doing PIF.

I tried to find somewhere where it listed a phone purchase limit this time. I accidentally had two phones for the same line in my cart and Apple told me I could only purchase one at a time. However, the only limit I can find on the website is in the fine print and it says you can only purchase 4 ATT Next phones per account. But, since I did one PIF, that shouldn't apply - and even if it does we're still only at 3 for our account (my two orders and DH's one).

Both phones are currently prepared for shipping. I'm hoping that I'll get a tracking number on the Apple phone and will be able to cancel the ATT before it actually ships. But, I'm keeping both right now because if one cancels on me I want to have the other as a back up. YMMV, of course.

6. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

That kind of what I was thinking at first, but man it would suck to end up with no phone! Doubly weird though if you can't that it would let me even get that far, I mean it was hours apart.

@cforster if Apple canceled you did the other order hold up?

7. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Anyone else have any experiences? Anyone get a pre order delivered from Best Buy before?

8. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Did it show up in your support profile before they cancelled it?

So, my Apple order is showing up in my support profile with a serial number, but I haven't gotten the official shipment with tracking. I did chat with ATT today and they said my order should not be cancelled since one is through Apple (and paid in full) and one is through ATT (on a Next plan). Still nervous to hit that cancel button on the ATT order.

9. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Hmm... that's encouraging to hear at least! Thank you!! And me too! I just can't makeup my mind which is the better bet to keep and cancel the other, man I hope they don't cancel each other. I would love to just leave it and return/cancel whichever shows up last. I'd much prefer to order from Apple, but it stinks that I was on there 5 minutes before and still got pushed back dates for both phones and both watches. Nothing new is showing up in my support profile and nothings been charged at either end besides their authorizations. I guess if ATT thinks its ok, just leave it be and cancel as soon as theres a shipment update on one?

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I "think" you will be okay, since you paid outright first, and then did the next with Best Buy. Best Buy is usually horrible on iPhone launches, so it may not matter. Rooting for you, hope it works out well. You can also buy any phone outright even if that line is under a next contract, so I do think you will be fine. Now two next on the same line would be canceled most likely.

11. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Thats good to hear! Is this true even though Apple required my ATT info at purchase, despite opting to pay in full?

12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I have never been in your boat, ordered simultaneously, but I have paid full price for phones on the same line under a next contact with no issues.

13. zea mays, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I think the paid in full thing really tips the scales that this is going to be okay. I don't think ATT is going to let you have two Next plans on one line but if one is purchased without Next and you never activate it on that line, how would they really even know?

Edit: So my Apple order that was showing in my support profile now shows on UPS MyChoice. Why am I having such a hard time cancelling my ATT order?? I don't want two phones. I don't need them, but I'm still so worried they'll somehow intercept this one before it gets to me. I know I should just cancel the ATT order but can't pull the trigger.