Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Number 1. when i examined closely at the minimizing effect of my windows, i noticed that when it minimizes, it does it BEHIND the dock, and including the background. i will show what i mean in normal use in the first attachment, and in the second attachment, i will use it with NEOS to exaggerate my problem. is it possible to have the dock not cover the minimize effect, or at least the background not making it look so annoying?

Number 2. sometimes and randomly (i haven't discovered the pattern and reason ) when i plug in speakers, or headphones the volume would jump to only the left speakers. it dosen't always happen, but once in a while when i do something it would just jump like that. and I always thought that my ibook speakers, headphones, or external speakers are broken until i bought new headphones to try it out. i also thought it was the earphone jack that was the problem. apparentlly, they are all fine. it's just an automatic screwup in the system preferences like in the 3rd. attachment how can i make it consistant?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 71

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
steelfist said:
Number 1. when i examined closely at the minimizing effect of my windows, i noticed that when it minimizes, it does it BEHIND the dock, and including the background. i will show what i mean in normal use in the first attachment, and in the second attachment, i will use it with NEOS to exaggerate my problem. is it possible to have the dock not cover the minimize effect, or at least the background not making it look so annoying?

Number 2. sometimes and randomly (i haven't discovered the pattern and reason ) when i plug in speakers, or headphones the volume would jump to only the left speakers. it dosen't always happen, but once in a while when i do something it would just jump like that. and I always thought that my ibook speakers, headphones, or external speakers are broken until i bought new headphones to try it out. i also thought it was the earphone jack that was the problem. apparentlly, they are all fine. it's just an automatic screwup in the system preferences like in the 3rd. attachment how can i make it consistant?
Safari is a Native Cocoa application, while Word by MS is a Carbon app. The difference, only Cocoa apps have the full ability to use all the features of OS X. Which in this case, is the see through dock during the Genie affect. Carbon apps are usually apps that have not been fully coded for OS X, but rather are OS 9 apps that have been recoded a little bit to have them work natively (without Classic/OS9) in OS X.

I see that you also use a different theme. This theme, if it is installed by a third party, might also explain the problem with the genie affect.

As for the speakers, you could just have a bug, and it would probably, need a replacement of certain files in the system folder. I really haven't seen that one before.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I have had the same speaker/headphone issue since my old 700 MHZ iBook back in 2002. Randomly it would just jump to the far left or slight left and screw up my listening experience...

Whenever I had issues with sound on my PM or PB's, I just go to SysPrefs first and check it out. Seems to always be the case.

I figured it might have something to do with the mini-jack when it's plugged in, it communicates wrong with the internal speakers.

Can't help you on this one, I'm just the "yea!" in the background.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
I have the same problem with the audio whenever i switch from my fasttrack to the external speakers.

Also Finder is a carbon app and it seems to work fine... so i don't think that explains his other problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.