Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Two day old laptop too...

1. Safari and Chrome both load... in a very unusual way compared to my previous Macbook. It sort of stops 1/8 (the blue bar) and then suddenly loads the page. It takes a bit of time, definitely more than my old model and my other iOS devices. I changed the DNS thinking that maybe that had to do it, but no that didn't work.

2. The left speaker is the dominant speaker. Sometimes the right one works out of nowhere, but the majority of the time it's the left. EDIT: I just noticed it now.. both were working then BAM out went the right.

I'll probably go to the Apple store and see what's up, but I'd like to maybe get an explanation or even something I could personally do before making the trip there. Gas is a bit expensive right now.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Two day old laptop too...

1. Safari and Chrome both load... in a very unusual way compared to my previous Macbook. It sort of stops 1/8 (the blue bar) and then suddenly loads the page. It takes a bit of time, definitely more than my old model and my other iOS devices. I changed the DNS thinking that maybe that had to do it, but no that didn't work.

2. The left speaker is the dominant speaker. Sometimes the right one works out of nowhere, but the majority of the time it's the left.

I'll probably go to the Apple store and see what's up, but I'd like to maybe get an explanation or even something I could personally do before making the trip there. Gas is a bit expensive right now.

One thing to check is if in the sound pane in System Preferences if the balance is set a little to the right! It sometimes gets wacky if migrated or if you used a program that adjusted it and for some reason didn't reset it.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
One thing to check is if in the sound pane in System Preferences if the balance is set a little to the right! It sometimes gets wacky if migrated or if you used a program that adjusted it and for some reason didn't reset it.

It was actually the first thing I did. It was right in the middle the whole time. When I shift it to the right, the sound is very low pitch.. really bad screechy.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It was actually the first thing I did. It was right in the middle the whole time. When I shift it to the right, the sound is very low pitch.. really bad screechy.

Sounds to me like a damaged speaker or speaker wire. I cannot remember where the speakers are in the rMBP. What happens if set all the way to the left?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Sounds to me like a damaged speaker or speaker wire. I cannot remember where the speakers are in the rMBP. What happens if set all the way to the left?

When its set to the left, the sound on the left simply increases like normal. Nothing screechy, just a louder sound. So maybe the right speaker could be faulty?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
When its set to the left, the sound on the left simply increases like normal. Nothing screechy, just a louder sound. So maybe the right speaker could be faulty?

That or the connection to the Logic Board is. I would say bring the whole Mac with all the packaging and accessories in under 14 days and do an exchange. There is no reason a 3 day old computer needs to be repaired, or for you to have mis-matching serial numbers on the box (if they swapped your MBP at the Genius Bar).

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
That or the connection to the Logic Board is. I would say bring the whole Mac with all the packaging and accessories in under 14 days and do an exchange. There is no reason a 3 day old computer needs to be repaired, or for you to have mis-matching serial numbers on the box (if they swapped your MBP at the Genius Bar).

The problem is my parents bought the laptop at an Aafes Exchange (we call it the PX) on a military post and brought it to me as a gift at where I'm going to school at... so it would be quite a drive.

I still have the receipt with me (they forgot it) so maybe that could do something at Apple or no?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The problem is my parents bought the laptop at an Aafes Exchange (we call it the PX) on a military post and brought it to me as a gift at where I'm going to school at... so it would be quite a drive.

I still have the receipt with me (they forgot it) so maybe that could do something at Apple or no?

I am not sure how Apple works with that. I never had a bad Apple product right off the bat, only after a Genius screws something up did I need a repair.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I am not sure how Apple works with that. I never had a bad Apple product right off the bat, only after a Genius screws something up did I need a repair.

Neither have I ha ha. This is the first for me which is forgivable. And really? Hm... well dang I have to see what I should do then.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

If there's an Apple Store where you are, you can take it there to have a Genius check it out. It would be under warranty, so you'd have no issues there. Otherwise, an Apple Authorized Dealer may be your best option. You can also call Apple and see what they suggest.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

Check with Mom and Dad and see if they bought the extended warranty through the exchange also. I'm not referring to Applecare, AFFEES exchanges offer a 3rd party warranty. Or the exchange mite ship out a new one once the one you have is rec'd

sb in ak

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Homer, Alaska
Yeah, I'd call the exchange to see if they can ship you another one. Or call Apple. A three day-old computer shouldn't have issues and don't forget--- you're wasting your time (as well as money) driving to exchange it. Insist that they ship you a new one.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I'd call the exchange to see if they can ship you another one. Or call Apple. A three day-old computer shouldn't have issues and don't forget--- you're wasting your time (as well as money) driving to exchange it. Insist that they ship you a new one.

And overnight at that if it's not a custom unit!

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Okay. I honestly hoped Apple would simply give me a new one, but I'm guessing it won't work that way since I didn't buy it at their retail store and instead another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.