Two Problems w/ Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Evman101, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Evman101 macrumors member

EDIT:

I've resolved the two issues in question but another, much more annoying issue has popped up!

Now Coverflow doesn't work in either the finder or iTunes. I can scroll through the coverflow images, but If I try to double click any of them, they won't open. Obviously, this is very crippling in navigating my files.

I've tried a user's suggestion from below about logging into another account, and the issue isn't present when I log into a guest account. It only exists in one account, but I still don't have the slightest idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

PLEASE HELP!

- Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mergelayers macrumors newbie

mergelayers

I have had a problem with downloading files from the internet...both in firefox and safari. The files downloaded in firefox, don't show up in the folder designated for downloads, but they show up on the desktop with gobbled up numbers and letters as the filename. The files are usually in zip format but will not unzip. disk images always say that the file is bad. in safari, the files download to the proper folder, with the proper name, but will not unarchive or unzip.

3. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Also, I've just discovered a new problem.

In the Finder, if I switch to coverflow view, folders and files won't open if I click on them in the coverflow section, only if I click in the list below. If I switch to icon view, they won't even open at all unless I right click and select open.

This is really messed up and only started tonight.

Mergelayers - maybe start your own thread with that problem?

4. mergelayers macrumors newbie

mergelayers

I might just do that, thanks!

5. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing these (now 3) problems?

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

neither one of these issues are the fault of Leopard.

7. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Fine then, IN Leopard.

:p

The problem with coverflow is certainly a fault in leopard. It now happens in iTunes coverflow as well. I wonder if it's a problem with the latest update to iTunes.

8. mergelayers macrumors newbie

mergelayers

I might just take the drastic step of reinstalling Leopoard to see if that resolves my problems.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

For the Software Update issue, you could try ignoring the update (select the update, then go to Update > Ignore Update. Maybe when the next update comes out, it will clear up. In the meantime, it should stop telling you about the 3.0.2 update.

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

if it's not affecting everyone using leopard and/or is not reproducible, then it's not a bug.

11. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm then that's really annoying.

The other two problems are tolerable, and I've already fixed the Compressor one thanks to Dimwhit, but the cover flow and not being able to open/play files in the finder and iTunes is just plain crippling.

Is there anyway to download an earlier version of iTunes to see if that fixes it? Or are there any other things I could try?

Thanks

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

maybe try trashing com.apple.Finder.plist in home/Library/Preferences and then relaunching Finder by option-rightclicking on its Dock icon.

this will reset all the settings in Finder's preferences but leave all your folder specific views alone.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Have you tried restarting? :D Sometimes it fixes minor problems like the yellow Minimize button becoming inactive.

14. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried relaunching the finder and deleting that file, and yes, I've restarted! :D As I said, I'm having the same issue in iTunes as well. Now it's spreading to some websites as well. Apple.com in particular - I'm having trouble clicking and opening links. This happens when I'm using both the mouse and the trackpad, so it's not a specific problem with the mouse, I don't think.

Any other ideas? I'm completely lost here, and it's the first real annoyance I've had with Leopard so far (everything else has been perfect, SO much better than PCs).

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You could try to create another user account and see if the issues are still there

16. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

I've just logged into a guest account, and the issue is NOT in that account.

Good thinking, but what does that mean? :confused:

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

18. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

What?

I've edited my post to reflect my new problem. I'm not sure how to change the title of the thread though. I want people to be able to see my concern, because I'd like it resolved quickly and help would be extremely appreciated! :)

-Thanks

19. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so now desktop icons are acting the same way. No matter how many times I click them, they won't open.

Same goes for Final Cut Pro, videos in the timeline won't open when clicked.

I'm beginning to think I accidentally tripped some mouse or click settings. The problem happens on both trackpad and mouse, so it's not the mouse specifically.

Can anyone think of anything?

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Check your Double-Click Speed in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse?

21. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Well I feel kinda stupid.

The double click speed was set all the way to the right. If I moved it just one click to the left, it now works. Funny, I don't remember changing that setting.

Thanks though!