Two Problems with my OWC SSD in my 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamjohnsname, May 27, 2011.

1. iamjohnsname macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a 120GB OWC SSD (3Gb/s version) which i want to replace the stock SSD in my top of the line 2011 MacBook Pro.

So I updated the firmware successfully using a Windows machine. I replaced the stock drive with the OWC drive and attempted install.

Problem one:

The OSX Install disc will not see the correctly formatted SSD. System Profiler within the installer sees it, but it will not see it in disk utility and will not give me the option to install to it.

Any ideas? I specifically want a fresh install on this drive.

Problem two:

After simply Carbon Copying the contents of the stock SSD to the OWC SSD and then replacing the drives again, the machine successfully boots into OSX installed on the OWC drive.

However, despite successfully updating the firmware, I am experiencing the problem of the machine freezing upon recovery from sleep.

I know the suggested fix is to disable hibernation mode, but I like that function, and to me, that's not a fix, that's a way of saying "our drive cannot perform all the requirements you might have of a drive, so reduce your requirements."

The only other thing I have bought from OWC was the Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 4 Bay RAID enclosure which was dead on arrival, so so far the best thing I've got from OWC is their wonderful service. Their products so far have let me down...

2. HighSeasCaptain macrumors member

I had the same issue with my OWC Pro 6G with Disk Utility. Had to Carbon Copy Clone my other drive. You should call OWC and tell them, as they said I was the first they'd heard of a user experiencing this.

As for the hibernation -- OWC called me and told me that some of the drives shipped recently have this problem, and it is a manufacturing issue, and if you like you can exchange it for a new one. As of this moment, there aren't any in stock, so you can't get an advanced replacement. You will have to wait for them to get their next shipment in to do a cross shipment so you get your new drive in a day. Since it is a holiday on Monday, OWC won't get a new shipment of drive in until at the very least Tuesday.

3. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

To fix the freeze after waking from automated sleep issue, install PleaseSleep. PleaseSleep puts the Mac to sleep when the regular idle time has been reached i.e the computer doesn't go to sleep automatically, PleaseSleep issues the command.
    For some reason these OWC drives (I have the same model) freeze after waking from automated sleep, apparently you can send it back to OWC and they'll fix some internal power management setting that will alleviate the problem, but these settings are not user accessible.

4. iamjohnsname thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'll install PleaseSleep. I simply don't have the time to send it to OWC - it's my work computer that I use every day. To send it away for a few days would cost me more than the cost of the SSD.

On top of that, the thing may already be out of warranty. I bought it back in March but have only just had a break in my workload long enough to allow me to replace the system drive.

Unless they're very generous I suppose.

5. HighSeasCaptain macrumors member

You're just outside of the 30 day warranty, which means you won't qualify for an advanced replacement. However you still are under the 3 year warranty, so they will fix it if you were to send it back.

6. iamjohnsname thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's good. That way I can wait til my work dies down again. Especially since I'm in Australia and they're in USA. Thanks for your help.