Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplifyed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Well, I recently installed XP with bootcamp on my macbook pro. The big problem I'm having is that the internal speakers on my computer don't have sound coming out of them. (When I'm on windows) The volume control on my keyboard doesn't do anything, either. When I go to find my sound control, to make sure it's not muted or anything, I find that I can't even edit the sound controls. It says I don't have a device that can output sound, even though my internal speakers work fine on my mac desktop. It can't seem to find my internal speakers, when I try setting up a new device... Unless I'm mistaking the name, somehow. Any ideas?

And a lesser problem: I'm having a lot of trouble setting up internet on the XP as well, I just don't understand how to do it. (I've used mac all my life, I am really new to windows.) Basically, I have a wireless internet connection, I've got the router downstairs, and the information is handy... But I just don't know how to set it up, and I don't know what type of internet connection I want. If I need to give more information, just ask.
Well, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Have you installed the base Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard install disc, then applied the Boot Camp 2.1 update? If not, do this now.

Amplifyed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Ok, I downloaded it... But windows won't open the files that come out of the .exe for some reason. Should I open them up in winRAR?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You're supposed to run the Boot Camp 2.1 file you downloaded. How you managed to extract it without running it I do not know... Also, you have to install the Boot Camp 2.0 drivers from the Leopard disc (either the retail one or the install DVD that came with your computer, if it has Leopard on it) first - if you don't do this, the 2.1 update will refuse to install.

Amplifyed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, the file actually wasn't opening in windows for some reason, so I told winRAR to extract it... But I think that wasn't the thing I wanted to do. And I used Bootcamp 2.0, also. I mean, the update is an .exe file, and it looked like windows knew what it was, but when I clicked on it, nothing happened. There wasn't even the timer symbol on the mouse arrow. Or does it just take a couple minutes to open?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yeah, the file actually wasn't opening in windows for some reason, so I told winRAR to extract it... But I think that wasn't the thing I wanted to do. And I used Bootcamp 2.0, also. I mean, the update is an .exe file, and it looked like windows knew what it was, but when I clicked on it, nothing happened. There wasn't even the timer symbol on the mouse arrow. Or does it just take a couple minutes to open?
It's normal for Windows to take about 1-2 minutes before it shows the Boot Camp installer interface.

Amplifyed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Huh, I waited 10 minutes and nothing happened. And I don't think I downloaded any service packs, either... Could that be it? Do I need the first two to install it?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Huh, I waited 10 minutes and nothing happened. And I don't think I downloaded any service packs, either... Could that be it? Do I need the first two to install it?
Windows XP shouldn't even install without any service packs in a Boot Camp environment. It officially requires SP2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.