Two processes keep running away with themselves...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MalcolmJID, Apr 12, 2007.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

"mds" and "coreservicesd".

Every now and again they just start eating CPU, the fan revs up to full blast etc.

It happens right after I use spotlight I think.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

mds is the Spotlight indexer. It is normal for this process to be using CPU time when Spotlight is indexing. coreservicesd does a bunch of stuff related to the core system services, and is probably providing live filesystem updates to Spotlight. I've never seen those two processes do that on my Macs, though. :confused:

3. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

It hasn't done it again yet whilst using Spotlight. Maybe it was an isolated couple of incidents. But if it happens again, I'll use OnyX to reset the Spotlight index.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

To the OP: You have a large amount of Page Outs. I can see from your sig that you have 512mb of RAM, but I would strongly recommend more RAM as your system is losing lots of performance because of the lack of RAM.

As for those processes, the same thing occasionally happens to me and eats up my CPU, but when I restart the computer it goes away.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Spotlight tips is a pretty good source of info on working with Spotlight...

6. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know about the RAM. It's only my list of things to get (I'll get 2Gb).

Theyve started again, this time after using the search on iTunes. I shouldnt have to restart to get these processes to stop. They stop on their own after about a minute or two....