Two questions: 1 )"In-App SMS" and 2) How to make an App?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Amacfa, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Hey all, two questions!

1) Are there any developers taking advantage of this new "In-App SMS" that was announced for 4.0. If so who/where so I can see progress?

2) I am really interested in making apps. I know that it may require a lot of dedication to do so, but if someone could point me in the direction of a good guide, maybe some source codes of iphone apps to help me learn, that'd be amazing. I run windows so windows-only coding applications. My goal is to make nice shiny apps. I am a beginner at coding.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You have to have a mac to run xcode (the program used to create iPhone apps).

3. Amacfa thread starter macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Dang, isn't there a way to run a virtual machine though?

Also what exactly is an API and how long does it take to design an app around it.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Based on those questions you have a VERY long way to go! There are ways to run OSX in a virtual machine, however I wouldn't recommend it. The performance is downright poor; it's also a violation of the EULA.

Think of API's as code that is already put together for you to use specific features, whether they be hardware or software. For instance your earlier post about in-app messaging, that is an API that you call with a few lines of code - without having to manually code, the sometimes, thousands of lines of code yourself.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're asking questions like that then you have a very long way to go.....

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Taken from Wikipedia. I would also advise not trying to emulate OS X is Windows, it will cause all sorts of issues.

7. Amacfa thread starter macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Very informative, thank you.

Probably one of my favorite In-app SMS was this one: Tlert
    [​IMG]

There are alot of in-app sms apps when you jailbreak but this one is just amazing. Any chance of a port or simular app now that this API is available?

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You're misunderstanding what in-app SMS is. I wish it was what you're talking about. iRealQuickSMS was wonderful when I used it.

The API that's included in 4.0 allows apps to send SMS' without having to exit and switch to the SMS app like how you're presently allowed to send emails from other apps without being redirected to the Mail app.

9. Amacfa thread starter macrumors 65816

Amacfa

I suppose that's nice if you have an app like shapewriter. What would what I was talking about be called, why exactly would such an excellent feature not be integrated?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not allowed by Apple.
    It will only work on that particular app alone if it had it integrated.
    It wont be like that with every app your in.
    Like wether you use youtube or you're in settings or using Safari.
    Something like that can only be done with a JB iphone currently.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably.
    Since 4.0 is still under NDA, your best bet is the Apple Developer Forums.

12. jtara macrumors 65816

a. Probably a few thousand. b. Google Blog Search is probably your best best. Some developers just can't keep their mouths shut.

a. Learn to program.
    b. Learn to program in Objective-C.
    c. Get a Mac
    d. Sign-up for the $99 iPhone Developer Program
    e. Learn Cocoa Touch
    f. Write app
    g. Profit! (perhaps)

You need to consider, however, just where the app market is in 5 years or so, when you have completed these steps. ;)

13. ranguvar macrumors 6502

I mainly agree, but not fully: You don't need a Mac, you can often install Mac OS X on your PC. You should also move step d) behind step f). You can even debug the apps on your device without paying for the dev program preemptively. And: I don't think you need 5 years to complete the steps, more like 2 years.

14. ethical macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

Often? Also, I really doubt someone asking the sort of questions the OP is, would find installing OS X on a PC a simple process!

OP: Buy a Mac, buy some books and get reading! Good luck :)

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Here's my recommended order:
    a. Learn to program.
    b. Get a Mac
    c. Learn to program in Objective-C.
    d. Learn Cocoa Touch
    e. Sign-up for the $99 iPhone Developer Program
    f. Write app
    g. Profit! (perhaps)
    If you have to get a Mac anyways, you might as well learn Objective-C and Cocoa Touch on it. Just easier that way. And you'll probably want to see your app running on an actual device fairly soon. It just feels more real that way. For that you'll need to have singed up for the paid program, in order to access the Provisioning Portal to get your certificates, etc. all set up.