Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Hello. I have two questions for you guys but I didn't want to create two threads.

First question. I have a Nikon D7100 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate the focus confirmation beep. I've been to the custom settings under D1 and the beep is activated and the volume is on high.

Second question. How do I restore my D7100 to the state it was when it came out of the box as new. Thinking I knew what I was doing I have messed with some settings that I think I shouldn't have. So I want to start over with all of the settings.

Thanks in advanced!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Most Nikon dSLRs have a green dot on two buttons. Pressing both at once restores the many of the settings to default. Likely not all of then, maybe just remove the exposure compensation? Try it.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I'm thinking about getting a D7100 to replace my D3200. Apart from the above how are you finding it? What camera are you coming from?

So far I absolutely love it! I'm coming from a Nikon D90, which was a great camera. I've had my D7100 since July and used it a lot when I lived in Downtown Chicago. It took amazing pictures, whatever the conditions. The features and in depth settings are great and I also appreciate the dual memory card slots. I must admit I did somewhat regret buying this camera at first(I don't anymore), I thought I should have spent the money on new lens. As a result I now only have one lens (Nikon 16mm-85mm) but I am able to shoot almost anything with it. If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So far I absolutely love it! I'm coming from a Nikon D90, which was a great camera. I've had my D7100 since July and used it a lot when I lived in Downtown Chicago. It took amazing pictures, whatever the conditions. The features and in depth settings are great and I also appreciate the dual memory card slots. I must admit I did somewhat regret buying this camera at first(I don't anymore), I thought I should have spent the money on new lens. As a result I now only have one lens (Nikon 16mm-85mm) but I am able to shoot almost anything with it. If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask me.

Okay thanks. I'm only starting to look at my next camera. I have an opportunity to buy some quality glass from work in the next couple of months. Still waiting on the pricing but the options are 60mm Macro, 24-70mm, 70-200mm. All 2.8 lenses so pretty good. After that it will be time to look for a new body. I read different things like don't bother with crop sensors, but go straight to a full frame. My concerns against this are the expense (as I would need new more expensive lenses) and the size of a FF camera. So looking at the D7100 looks like a great set of features at a reasonable price point. They are offering £100 cash back here in the UK until the end of Jan so I am tempted, but need to sort out the lenses first.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Okay thanks. I'm only starting to look at my next camera. I have an opportunity to buy some quality glass from work in the next couple of months. Still waiting on the pricing but the options are 60mm Macro, 24-70mm, 70-200mm. All 2.8 lenses so pretty good. After that it will be time to look for a new body. I read different things like don't bother with crop sensors, but go straight to a full frame. My concerns against this are the expense (as I would need new more expensive lenses) and the size of a FF camera. So looking at the D7100 looks like a great set of features at a reasonable price point. They are offering £100 cash back here in the UK until the end of Jan so I am tempted, but need to sort out the lenses first.

The 24-70 and 70-200 are both full frame lenses. (Not familiar with the 60mm.) You wouldn't have any trouble going FF with those.

I moved from the D70 / D60 to the D7000 and it was an amazing leap forward. the D7000 is a remarkable camera and the D7100 only better. That is a bit more of a step from what you are considering. The D70 and D60 both were still using CCD sensors.

These days I'm shooting D800s and only use the D7000 when I want an extra body for shooting meteor showers. I don't think you can go wrong with either the D7100 or the D610 depending on what path you wish to take. Good luck on the pricing of the lenses. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The 24-70 and 70-200 are both full frame lenses. (Not familiar with the 60mm.) You wouldn't have any trouble going FF with those.

I moved from the D70 / D60 to the D7000 and it was an amazing leap forward. the D7000 is a remarkable camera and the D7100 only better. That is a bit more of a step from what you are considering. The D70 and D60 both were still using CCD sensors.

These days I'm shooting D800s and only use the D7000 when I want an extra body for shooting meteor showers. I don't think you can go wrong with either the D7100 or the D610 depending on what path you wish to take. Good luck on the pricing of the lenses. :)

I'd love the D610, but it costs a lot more than the D710. I'll have to see what deal my boss is gonna let me have on the glass before I decide. There's also a D3S but thats got a big fat reserved sticker on it from one of the managers!

minnieoi

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
two questions

I'd love the D610, but it costs a lot more than the D710. I'll have to see what deal my boss is gonna let me have on the glass before I decide. There's also a D3S but thats got a big fat reserved sticker on it from one of the managers!

if you can afford it, go for the DF.Awesome IQ, easy to handle and will take ANY(Nikon fit) lens

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Ah, I wasn't thinking used. Good luck on getting some good deals. :)

Think they might have a couple of 24mm f1.4s for the cheap? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.