Two questions about a RAID dual SSD setup in a 13 inch cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alohamade, Jan 6, 2013.

1. alohamade macrumors regular

alohamade

Hey guys, I recently got my 13 inch mid-2012 2.9 GHZ Intel i7 cMBP and threw in 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM and a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I recently saw how fast the read/write speeds were like when you run a Striped RAID set and immediately, I was intrigued to buy a OWC Data Doubler and remove the optical drive. I had two questions about a potential dual SSD setup for my notebook:

1. Currently, the 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD I have has a read/write speed of 530 MB/s and 390 MB/s and a random read speed of 97K IOPS. Do I have to put in an equivalent 128GB Samsung 840 Pro or can I mix and match SSDs with ease of mind?

2. When removing the optical drive in place of another SSD/data doubler, does the computer lose any weight? I would have to imagine that getting rid of the optical drive shrinks it in weight, but would anyone have a number as to how much weight it loses?

Thanks, everyone!

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

1) You can mix and match.

2) Take the weight of the Hard Drive in the MBP minus the SSD.

3. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

You can mix as the above poster suggested but for optimum read/write I would get an SSD with similar benchmarks.