Two questions about File Sharing between two Macs.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kahnyl, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Is there anyway to ensure that when two Macs are File Sharing with Firewire that they use that connection rather than the network connection? Anytime I connect I can't tell how I'm connected until I try to transfer a file and it says it'll take fifteen minutes. If I turn off my airport it'll then use the firewire and transfer in seconds. Is there anyway around having to disable wifi to get it to use the wire?

Also, how do I turn on file sharing for just one other Mac? I just want to be able to share the files on the Mini with the MBP, not any other computer on the network.

Thanks.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

Why not? If they both have different manually set IPs and once I get past the wifi thing I have no problems.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1. In System Preferences->Network drag Firewire to the top of the list.

2. You can't. Either file sharing is on or it is off. However, you still need a username and password to connect to the Mini so as long as you are the only one who knows them no-one else can connect to your Mini even if they can 'see' it on the network.

5. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm actually figuring out file sharing as I type this. I'm finally getting it.

There's one thing I don't understand though. On my Mac Mini I have File Sharing turned on and I have it's public folder and the external drive it's connected to shared. That's just two folders. But when I log in from the MBP I see those two folders, plus my Mini's Home folder and the Macintosh HD folder. They're not set to be shared yet I have full read / write access.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you log in using a username/password from a user on the Mini you get access to that users home folder.

7. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, good. Thanks a lot. You've been a lot of help.