Two questions about memory usage

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benlee, Nov 12, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

1. I have been using istatmenus in Leopard. Whenever I burn a disc using Toast Titanium 8.1 my computer uses about 98-99% of my 2GB of ram. The only other thing I have open is mail and Omnioutliner.
    Still after I get down burning the disc and quit Toast. The usage stays at 98% and is verified by activity monitor. However I can't find the culprit.

Has anyone experience high memory usage with Toast under Leopard?

Also, what seems to be the culprit after the close of Toast

Attached Files:

2. Yateball macrumors regular

Yateball

When I'm using Toast it doesn't even come close to using that much.

My imac stays responsive and can do other tasks still. Let me know if you figure out what's causing that.

Have you tried a re-install of toast? or using a separate burning program completely?

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

are you using Leopard?

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You've got it set to filter the processes you can see.

Go to the drop down list next to the filter text field, and choose 'All Processes' (not Active Processes like in my fubar screenshot). This should reveal the culprit.

Attached Files:

5. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Ah I see. I restarted and It went away. Going to do it again to see the culprit. It seems as though finder is using significantly more than it should be though. I'll post back after I waste a dvd.

6. Yateball macrumors regular

Yateball

I'll answer you eventhough it seems you've got your answer lol

Yes I am using Leopard

7. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I'm compressing a Video_TS now and I'm at 98%
    Here are all my processes. I don't know what the culprit is because I don't know what should be there and what it should be using. Anyone care to help? thanks for any help

Edit: I have seem to find that all my memory is actually not being used but put on reserve (inactive). I just did another burn and after I quit toast, this time the inactive memory was released back to free memory. The prior times it was not. Seems to maybe be a problem with toast, but I'm not sure.

Attached Files:

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

What youre seeing is not a bug or an error, its a feature. The inactive memory is just that, stuff that was used but is no longer needed. That stuff is saved if for example you want to use it again soon. If some other application requires memory, the Inactive stuff is neatly handed over to the application that needs more memory. Inactive memory is for all intents and purposes free memory.

9. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Right. I understand this now. But after an application quits it should free that memory and the 2 prior times I used Toast it did not free the memory after I quit.
    It is supposed to free the memory right?

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

No, it is supposed to make the memory inactive. Inactive memory is memory that used to be used for an application but that application is now closed. For all practical purposes, inactive memory is free memory. It only differs in that if you open up Toast again it won't have to re-load stuff to memory as it is already there (assuming nothing has taken it in the mean time)

11. psonice macrumors 6502a

It could be just cached files - as toast reads in files to be written to the disk, osx will store them if there's memory going spare so they load ultra fast if you ask for them again. If the memory is needed, the cached files would just get dropped to make room.

If you want to see why it does that, open an app, quit it, then open it again. Watch how fast it opens the second time :)