Two questions about notifications for the AW

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Matth3w, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Matth3w macrumors regular

Not sure if you have seen a video I haven't or not...but I have two questions that my purchase hinges on.

1) Will you be able to have a text preview disabled on the watch? Example...I'm at work, I'm in a meeting, and receive a text from my wife that's either a) sexually inappropriate or b) something that says something negative about someone I work with (like are you in a meeting with that b*tch right now?) that could get me in trouble..this is the reason I stopped using the Pebble. There was no way to just say "text message: John/Jamie/etc"

2) What happens when you have both the phone and watch on and you are actively using the phone? Do you receive two notifications? I feel like that could be pretty annoying (despite small)

2. PeterRollback macrumors regular

I agree with number 2, when I had my pebble, it was so annoying when I was using my phone and constantly would get tweets, Instagram likes, messages and chat messages at the same time. I hate having to get double the notifications ugh. But yea I hope they can handle this pretty well.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

My guess is that there are granular controls to disable Long Looks and previews.

By default, all notifications are Short Looks that simply say "you have a message from this person". If you continue looking at it, it will switch to the Long Look with the preview. So, disable Long Looks or simply put your wrist down as to not trigger the LL with preview.

4. Matth3w thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I'm also trying to figure out if I can get the space black and LATER if I like it enough, buy the black link bracelet separately, but it's not listed on the page with bands by itself...so that means it will never be sold that way??

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

As far as we know, Apple is not planning on selling the space black link bracelet separately. You may be able to purchase one from a reseller or find a suitable 3rd party solution.

6. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

For #2 is probably works the same way using a Mac and iPhone does. If I'm texting someone on my Mac then my phone will stay silent and not buzz every time I get a message. My best guess is that if using your iPhone and answering messages then your watch will not keep buzzing.

7. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

They've already said if you're actively using the phone you will not get any notifications on the watch.

Apple has worked on it for 3 years. I'm pretty sure they've thought of everything concerning notifications.

8. docprego macrumors 65816

I hope this is true. They really need to implement this across ALL iOS and OS X devices. It wouldn't be that difficult to send notifications only to the currently active device or Watch if none other are active.

9. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

They actually already do it (or try to). The most recently active/currently active device should receive notifications shortly before other devices go off. If you view the notification quickly, the other devices do not get the notification. However, the watch should work differently than this, as the watch being on your wrist whilst you are actively using your phone means there would be no need to send a notification to the watch even if you didn't view it on the phone quickly. The reason it still sends out notifications to other devices besides the most recently used device, is because you may have sat the PST recently used device down, moved to another device, and didn't see the notification on the recently used device, thus you still need the notification to quickly come through on all other devices, as there may be a closer device now. Sorry if this was confusing, not sure how to put it.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I believe one of the settings tells it to show you have a notification of a specific type but you have to touch it to open and read it. That would save embarrassment. It WILL be nice to NOT see notifications on the watch if using the phone. I agree that it is a pain to have the pebble get them while reading them on the phone.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I hesitate to say never, but for now, we have to assume we won't be able to purchase the black link band by itself. Also, the only way you can buy the space black watch is with a link band -- it's not offered with any other band. Unless you are thinking of the Space Grey aluminum watch, which comes with a black sports band.

12. Lloydbm41, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

You do know that the SDK and associated programmer's guide for the Apple Watch are on Apple's website?
    Link: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/AppleWatchProgrammingGuide.pdf

From page 11:
    Additionally, here is the difference between a short look glance info vs long look (detailed view):