Two questions about Tiger

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
1. I read in Apple's webpage that all my documents, e-mail, etc. will remain after the upgrade. But my question is: Will my applications stay too?

2. What will happen if I buy a single license, install it in my computer and then I try to install it in a second (and maybe third) computer?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
The "Archive and Install' option will leave all your apps untouched – apart from updating the Apple apps of course.

As for your second question... you can install your single copy of Tiger on more than one machine – however, this would violate the licence agreement. It's doubtful you'd get in any bother over it but it is illegal and we generally consider this a Bad Thing. There is a family pack available that has five licences.

TrashCanDan

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I was also wondering about retaining my apps aswell, so if I just do an upgrade without a clean install or archive and install it will erase all my apps and I have to reinstall eveything over again? I dont remember having to do this when I upgraded to Panther hmmm...

chw

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2004
San Diego
educational discount

Does anyone know if you buy tiger via the ed discount, is what you get a single license or a family pack?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
TrashCanDan said:
I was also wondering about retaining my apps aswell, so if I just do an upgrade without a clean install or archive and install it will erase all my apps and I have to reinstall eveything over again? I dont remember having to do this when I upgraded to Panther hmmm...
You have the option of a clean install or an archive and install – the former essentially wipes your hard disk (so you would lose your apps), while the latter just upgrades the OS and keeps your apps intact.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
chw said:
Does anyone know if you buy tiger via the ed discount, is what you get a single license or a family pack?
The UK store is offering a ~34% discount on single user but a whopping ~50% on a family pack which brings the pricing down to £59/£69 so the extra 4licenses only cost you ~£10 and the difference is just over 15% between the two products.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mpw said:
The UK store is offering a ~34% discount on single user but a whopping ~50% on a family pack which brings the pricing down to £59/£69 so the extra 4licenses only cost you ~£10 and the difference is just over 15% between the two products.
Nice deal! Almost makes you want to buy the latter just in case.

Hmmm...I wanted to compare prices, so I went to the Apple Store and found the Family Pack for non-ed customers, but then, I could not find the Family Pack when I switched to the US Educational site. And when I searched the site for "Tiger Family Pack," the only hit I got was the single user license. Strange.

chw

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2004
San Diego
Family Pack

Actually I knew it would depend on which version I purchase. But I can't find the family pack cost with the ed discount? It seems like there is only one version being offered with ed discount.... :confused: At least in the us site.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
chw said:
Actually I knew it would depend on which version I purchase. But I can't find the family pack cost with the ed discount? It seems like there is only one version being offered with ed discount.... :confused: At least in the us site.
No, it doesn't look like it's on the US education store. It looks like the US education store runs differently to the UK one. Where you choose a specific school by city/state etc. in the UK we just type the name of the school in there's no check to see if the school even exists.

TrashCanDan

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Jaffa Cake said:
You have the option of a clean install or an archive and install – the former essentially wipes your hard disk (so you would lose your apps), while the latter just upgrades the OS and keeps your apps intact.
Ok thanks! its been so long since I've upgraded my OS. :D