Two questions about what the rMBP 13" can handle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aok, Nov 3, 2012.

1. aok macrumors newbie

Will it be able to play games such as HoN, WoW, and Starcraft?

Also, can it handle heavy multitasking of simple (but "large") applications? (many tabs in Safari, large MS Office files, etc.)

I'm asking these because many people on this forum make it seem like it will choke on even very simple tasks.

Thanks

2. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

If you have an interest in gaming, I'd steer towards the 15" models. Lots of good things said about the integrated gpu, but ......I can't see it.

As for the second point, RAM is your biggest determinant there.

3. aok thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not a big gamer, but I really like the size of the 13" display.

Would the default 8gb of ram be sufficient?

4. aok thread starter macrumors newbie

5. snoylekim macrumors member

8 gig of memory and a Core 2 Duo processor ( with the addition of an SSD) was fine for Lots of MS Office, 10-12 Tabs constantly open in Safari , some Canon Digital Pro and occasional Aperture work .. this was on a 2009 15" .. 8 Gig and the I5 on the base 13 retina will be more than enough for this .. I have a previous generation I5 w/ 8 gig on a mac Mini which has no problems with the above, plus Final Cut Pro .. and that machine has no SSD ..
    I can't speak to Gaming , but the 13" base Retina is far more than adequate for very heavy duty MS office stuff, Handbrake rendering, etc etc , even with the mistakingly maligned HD 4000 .. and a 15" Base is a true beast .

6. scarred macrumors 6502a

Yes, it plays wow. You aren't going to be anywhere near max res or max settings though. I think I have my settings at fair to good, with a decent resolution, and get 30-40fps. Not bad... This isn't a gaming machine, but the HD4000 can handle some stuff.

You won't have any problems at all with office applications.