Two questions - CD Drive, Dirt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andy348, May 23, 2009.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

First question:

My MacBook is getting getting dirty (mainly the white palm rests). I need a way to clean this. I've tried water and normal stuff but it doesn't work. I've heard that Mr. Clean magic erasers work, but I don't have any. Any ideas?

Second question:

How much would it cost to put in a super drive (I only have a combo drive)?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I've heard the same story about the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. One thing that some people neglect to mention in their comments however is that it can sometimes strip the coating off those palmrest areas and cause the discoloration/scuffing to return with a vengeance, and much sooner than expected. IMO if its within warranty, bring it to a service provider and see if they can swap out the top case for you, or call in to Apple to have a mail-in repair set up.

Mail-in's also have an option of not only repairing, but upgrading systems as well, though I have not the slightest idea of what an upgrade from combo to superdrive would be, sorry.

3. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its in warranty but I really don't think that I'll ask for a new palm rest. I'm going to try multiple things though.