Two Questions For Imac Noob

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AFSTER, Aug 1, 2011.

1. AFSTER macrumors newbie

I got a 27inch iMac 2011, couple of weeks ago

i plan just to keep it on all the time, i have set the monitor to turn off after 5 mins

now what do i do regards the other setting, do i put a timer on that or do i just say never, its for the hard drive i think

also i have upgraded the memory and bought corsair 2 x 4gb, can i keep the original 2 x 2gb or do just install the new memory

thanks

2. meli macrumors member

It's a personal preference, I put my computer to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity.

You can keep the old memory. Maybe put the new 4GB RAM into the slots originally occupied by the 2GB modules, then put the 2GB into the now empty slots. From what I've read, the CPU accesses the top slots first, so you want the larger modules there.

3. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

1) the 2nd timer is for the System. If you want the machine to run (downloading, etc.) all the time, set it to never (and pray the HDD doesn't die early).

2) You got 4 slots, just toss the new ones in :)

4. AFSTER thread starter macrumors newbie

I download using Sabnzb which stops downloading if the second option is set

but don't do too much downloading, so will put that option on 20 minutes

i will put the original in then, i just thought about conflict with the other memory. The original memory sells for cheap so i thought might as well use myself

5. mac-ho macrumors member

I use my iMac everyday so just put it to sleep. It powers up in less than 3 secs.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mine

Is set to screen save after 15 minutes turn off monitor after 1 hour. HDD never (and as above pray it doesn't fail ) It's on all day, but I do shutdown when its time for bed...:)

7. bigcreek macrumors member

so how do you set it up to periodically wake up (say every 4 hours) and check for itunes podcasts updates, etc?

8. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Sigh...

I've been running my Corei7 2.8 ghz 24/7 for nearly 14 months now. I blank the monitor after 5-10 minutes and that takes care of any need for the monitor to "rest".