Two questions here on osx and ms office.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
How do i reboot in osx? Open apple-control-delete? Also i noticed on the 12 inch pb and the 15 inch pb when i opened a new document to type in the letters are the same size on both computers. Can you magnify it? The letters seem a bit small.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
answers, i hope

to reboot in OS X go to the apple menu in the upper left hand corner of your screen and select restart from the menu. as far as bigger text, im not sure about Office, cause i dont ever use this function, but every other program i know of can have the text zoom increased by pressing ?+Shift+"+" and to decrease the size just use ?+"-" of course both of these minus the quotations. :-D

[edit] the ?'s shold be apple keys. i didnt realize that wouldnt show up in safari. my bad.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
CaptainCaveMann said:
How do i reboot in osx? Open apple-control-delete? Also i noticed on the 12 inch pb and the 15 inch pb when i opened a new document to type in the letters are the same size on both computers. Can you magnify it? The letters seem a bit small.
In Word, to make the type bigger, you select Zoom from the View menu. This is similar for other programs (although the menu item may be called something different).

Alternatively, to make everything bigger, go to Displays in the System Preference,s and reduce the resolution of the screen. In System preferences in Universal Access, there's also a Zoom feature if you really want to make stuff big...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
cyanide said:
to reboot in OS X go to the apple menu in the upper left hand corner of your screen and select restart from the menu. as far as bigger text, im not sure about Office, cause i dont ever use this function, but every other program i know of can have the text zoom increased by pressing ?+Shift+"+" and to decrease the size just use ?+"-" of course both of these minus the quotations. :-D

[edit] the ?'s shold be apple keys. i didnt realize that wouldnt show up in safari. my bad.
I cant go to the upper corner because theres a spinning beachball that wont stop spinning. Can i reboot from the key board?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Control-⌘-Eject or Control-⌘-F12 should do the trick.

You could try ⌘-option-esc to force quit some apps to see if that does the trick.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Or just hold the power button down for a few seconds. It sounds like your finder may have hung, in which case you don't need to reboot the whole computer. You can force-quit from the finder: just hit apple-option-escape and choose "finder."

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
wordmunger said:
You can force-quit from the finder: just hit apple-option-escape and choose "finder."
Or choose whatever application is in Red and is displaying the "Not Responding" little tag. It may have been Word... iTunes... etc.