Two questions - iMac 21.5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gooden, May 31, 2011.

1. Gooden macrumors member

So my 21.5" iMac should arrive later this week or the start of the next week...I'm moving from a 2009 MBP.

I've used time machine to back everything but I don't want to load my backup of my MBP onto my iMac I only want to bring over my apps such as Adobe creative suite, WoW, Steam and my music. Can I just plug in my drive and drag and drop them?

Second question is will I be able to run WoW / CSS / Day of Defeat Source on reasonable settings? I'm not fussed about graphics too much just want a nice picture and smooth performance.

I've only got the i5 but upgraded the RAM to 8 gig.

Thanks

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

1) unlikely to work correctly without reinstall

2) yes.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

One of the reasons why I am not a fan of Time Machine/Migration Assistant for new rigs, it backs up all the bloat you accumulate over the years as well.

4. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Shouldn't have done that :( You could have gotten 16GB ram with the money spent on the upgrade.

5. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

This is the reason I want to just bring parts over but seems I cannot, I guess it's the only way to get my music over as well?

Ahh man, well I guess It's too late now :( thanks though!!

6. discofuel macrumors 6502

Just reinstall your apps, copy your music directory over. Don't migrate!

I'd advice sending it back and buying an extra 8GB of RAM. $80 and 5 mins work to upgrade to 12GB!

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Exactly. It was a little more time consuming manually reinstalling everything and copying over what I wanted, but I think I'm happier not having the stuff I don't need anymore.

8. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I don't mean to jack the thread, but what do you do when you have already used migration assistant? Is there anything that will remove some things not needed?

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The process isn't automated in terms of removing things you don't want, that's all up to you digging around, trashing, and uninstalling.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I've found that migrating from time machine backup to be the most streamlined method...It will even designate your new iMac to continue backing up to the same sparse file from your Macbook Pro, eliminating the need to create a completely new backup sparse file and dealing with an unused sparse file.

If you are worried about carrying over "bloat", then I guess you could migrate your user account along with your home folder media files, then reinstall your apps later. But I think Time Machine will update your sparse file by backing up your newly installed Apps again.

11. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just slowly add the applications I need when I need them :)

I wished there was a way of taking only what you need / want but we can't always have what we want :)