Two questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Afbar1114, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

1. If i have back to my mac set up on TC and MBP. Can I print from another WI-FI location?

2. The HDD that came out of my MBP can I use it as an external HDD?

I thought it would be easier to make on thread insted of two....

2. simsaladimbamba

1. If you mean "USB port" with WI-FI port, than yes, unless another device is already connected to that one USB port, then you need a USB hub (non-powered is okay in this case).

2. Yes, if you get a 2.5" S-ATA enclosure (USB costs from 10 € upwards, Firewire 800 can cost 50 €).

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks i ment to say another wifi location and all. i got a USB 2.0 for $30 where can i get firewire? is it faster then USB 2.0 and where can i get a Fire wire HDD

4. simsaladimbamba

I still don't know what you mean by that. Do you have a printer with wireless capabilities? If so, you can add to your network without problems, the TC can have up to 20 wireless clients connected to it, as far as I can remember.
    I don't know, where you reside (country), thus I can not give you any specifics. If you are bound to the the North American continent, try OWC/MacSales or Newegg, they sell Firewire 800 enclosures.

And Firewire 800 is faster than USB 2.0 (60 to 70 MB/s via Firewire 800 vs. 30 to 35 MB/s via USB 2.0), but depending on your data usage*, USB 2.0 might more than suffice.

* Do you copy loads of data (10 to 100s of GB) on a regular basis?

5. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no i dont just to take back and forth between school and home to store items just incase the HDD hooked up to my TC cant get accessed. i mean that the printer hooked up to my wifi can i print outside of the wifi network if its Back to my mac is enabled?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No that won't work. You need to be on the same network (router) or print directly to the wi-fi printer. Back to My Mac won't allow you to print to your printer from other networks.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

LogMeIn Hamachi allows me to do remote printing. Just put your computer and a computer with access to the printer in the same virtual network, share the printer over the network, and print! ;)