Two quick display-related questions about 2011 MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by technopimp, Apr 5, 2011.

1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Sorry if these have been covered, but after going through quite a few threads I didn't see quite these questions being addressed. I know there is a known issue with the 2011 MBPs showing some flickering when attached to an external display via Mini DisplayPort. My first question is, does that include the 27" Apple Cinema Display? Or is it just non-Apple monitors?

My second question is somewhat more general-I know that by spec the 13" base 2011 MBP will support running its integrated display in addition to an external 27" Cinema Display (simultaneously), however I was wondering if doing so was a big performance hit due to the integrated graphics. In other words, I know it WILL work, but I was wondering how WELL it works.

Thanks in advance!

2. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The flickering was on Apple displays and non-Apple displays alike. It has been addressed via software update. I wouldn't worry about it. The integrated graphics on the 13", despite all the bashing, are perfectly capable for just about anything but gaming. I seriously doubt any type of performance hit from driving an external monitor. Laptops have been driving external monitors for years, and I can guarantee you the HD3000 is probably more capable than most notebook GPUs from years ago and they did just fine.