Two Quick Jailbreaking Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by krayziekray, Oct 23, 2008.

1. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I have posted this message in another thread, but haven't gotten a reply .... so decided to create another thread. I really want to jailbrake the phone today, so I'm hoping you guys can answer afew questions.

I'm seriously thinking about Jail braking my iPhone 3G simply due to the fact that Apple are starting to annoy me by restricting me to customise my phone to how I want it.

I have a few questions before I finally do it:

1. Do I loose my warranty if I Jailbreak my iPhone (I’m in the UK)? I read in this thread that this can be overcome by doing a simple restore in iTunes, but is there anyway an Apple "genius" or whoever I return my iPhone to "if" it goes faulty, can check to see if it was previously jail broken?

2. Whilst jail braking the phone, should anything go wrong in the process ... will I end up bricking my iPhone, or will a simple restore with the original iPhone firmware bring it back to a working state?

Thanks in advance,

Krayzie Kray

:apple: :D :apple:

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Just speaking from experience really as I have only recently got my iPhone 3g (in the uk too) and jailbr0k3d it about 3 hours+/- after purchasing due to lack of 'cool ****'.

To my knowledge you do not lose your warranty as the jailbreak is software based (Using qwikpwn) so there are no hardware modifications, a simple iTunes restore will revert back to its original state.

As long as you have a full battery and aren't due for a power cut whilst jailbreaking I don't see any reason for problems as long as you follow the instructions on screen for jailbreaking. If you do run into problems then come back here and use the search and you will more than likely find the answer.

3. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks kAoTiX ... I was thinking the same thing. It's only software that Jailbreaking would update, so surely this shouldn't affect the hardware and therefore the warrenty. I'm going to jailbreak when I get back home :cool:

:apple: :D :apple:

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

The above post regarding the warranty is incorrect as is your assumption that, as long as there is no PHYSICAL change to the iPhone you are working within the terms of the warranty provided by Apple.
    If you Jailbreak your iPhone, according to Apple's terms and conditions, you WILL void your warranty. But that is only if they discover evidence that you have done so. As stated above, you can restore from iTunes but you will need to put your iPhone into DFU mode to erase all signs that it has been Jailbroken.

I personally have not heard of anyone permanently damaging their iPhone by Jailbreaking.